Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 12 August 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
Here’s the daily business update for Monday, August 12, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Black Hat 2019 and 2020: The Black Hat 2020 cybersecurity conference dates and location are now confirmed. Track all of our Black Hat conference news and analysis here. Special thanks to the more than 30 executives and companies with whom we met at last week’s event. We’ll be sharing more event thoughts soon.
3. Talent – Security & Legal Guidance: PC Matic has named former Acting Attorney General of the United States, Matthew Whitaker, and his law firm, Graves Garrett, as its Outside General Counsel. Whitaker will oversee the company’s legal functions as it expands operations across the globe.
4. Ransomware Attacks: Digital cameras that connect to WiFi networks are vulnerable to ransomware attacks, according to recent Check Point Software Technologies research.
5. Open Source Tool: Carbon Black at DefCon launched “Binee,” an open-source binary emulator. The software “empowers researchers to extract run-time data from binaries at a cost, speed and scale previously only possible with static analysis tools, opening up a wealth of run-time malware data for behavioral analysis and machine learning applications,” Carbon Black asserts.
6. Security Lawsuit – Chatbot Software Provider: Delta Airlines has filed suit against a chatbot software company called 7.ai. Delta alleges that the chatbot software allowed attackers to access its systems and take personal and payment card data from Delta’s website, Global Data Review reports.
7. Funding: Securiti.ai, an AI-focused cybersecurity and data protection company, emerged from stealth with a $31 million in Series A funding.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.