Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 15 January 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Tuesday morning, January 15, 2019.
11. Ransomware Hits Texas City: The city of Del Rio, Texas, suffered a ransomware attack that locked up certain servers last week. We’re digging for more details…
10. Talent – Network Security: Tufin, a provider of network security policy orchestration, has hired Greg McDermott as of AVP of U.S. Federal Sales. He is based in Virginia and reports to Kevin Maloney, Senior Vice President of Global Sales at Tufin. Prior to joining Tufin, McDermott held key posts at Sysdig and NetScout Systems.
9. Talent – CEO Post: Cyber1, a cybersecurity firm in London with reach across EMEA and North America, has hired McAfee veteran Nick Viney as CEO. He will succeed Robert Brown on February 1, 2019.
8. Talent – MSSP: Lynx Technology Partners, an MSSP that also offers risk, compliance and training services, has hired Will Lassalle as CIO.
7. Partnership – Forensic Investigations: EndaceProbe, a network analytics platform, now integrates with IBM Security. The result: Customers and service providers can retrace detailed, step-by-step actions of an attacker to accelerate forensic investigations, the companies assert.
5. Funding – Cyber Skills: Immersive Labs, a cybersecurity skills platform company, has raised $8 million in funding led by Goldman Sachs.
4. Funding – Identity and Access Control: Sonrai Security has raised $18.5 million in Series A funding. The company offers data and identity control across cloud accounts and within any data store. Polaris Partners and TenEleven Ventures led the round. New Brunswick Innovation Foundation (NBIF) also participated in the funding. Sonrai Security is co-founded by IBM Security veterans Brendan Hannigan and Sandy Bird.
3. Funding – SOAR: Syncurity, a provider of Security Orchestration, Automation and Response (SOAR) expertise, has raised $2 million in seed funding. The round was initially led by the Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO) before closing oversubscribed with the addition of Kluz Ventures, through its fund The Next Impact, and SixThirty CYBER.
2. M&A – Office 365 Security: Zix has acquired AppRiver for $275 million. The deal creates a cybersecurity company with deep MSP partner expertise in the Microsoft Office 365 market. However, we’re checking to see how Zix will go to market. Roughly 60 percent of new Zix revenues were direct sales engagements ahead of the deal, while AppRiver works mostly through MSPs. Stay tuned for updates.
1. MSSP Alert Webcasts 2019: Our schedule is posted here. Register now to join us.