Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 16 August 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Friday, August 16, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Microsoft Windows Patch: Microsoft has released a security update to address an elevation of privilege vulnerability (CVE-2019-1162) in Windows. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to take control of an affected system, the US Department of Homeland Security says.
2. No Conspiracy: Symantec has beaten an antitrust lawsuit claiming it conspired with a standards-setting organization to ensure that stress tests of its cybersecurity products revealed their protocols in advance, Bloomberg reports.
3. Talent – Cloud Security: Digital Guardian and McAfee veteran Ken Levine has joined ShieldX Networks as CEO.
4. Hacked – Financial Services: The European Central Bank shut down one of its websites on Thursday after it was hacked and infected with malicious software, Reuters reports.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Cloudflare IPO Filing – Small Partner Program: Poke around the Cloudflare IPO filing and you’ll notice that only 9 percent of the company’s revenues come from channel partners — though the partner revenue figure in actual dollars is growing. Still, there’s no mention of MSPs or MSSPs in the filing, though Cloudflare has a partner program for such service providers.
2. SIEM for MSPs: Fidelus Technologies, a New York-based MSP, will leverage Exabeam’s software for a fully managed SIEM and UEBA cybersecurity service. SIEM is short for security information and event management. UEBA is short for user and entity behavior analytics (UEBA).
3. Oracle and SAP Application Security: Spinnaker Support, a global provider of Oracle and SAP third-party support services, has updated its security and vulnerability management solution. It now featuring seven-point protection for data, applications, and surrounding technologies. Also, it now includes a virtual patching tool, powered by McAfee, that offers additional protection for customers’ databases, Spinnaker says.
4. IoT Security: The Global Cyber Alliance, working with its partners, has launched the Automated IoT Defense Ecosystem (AIDE), a cybersecurity development platform for Internet of Things (IoT) products. AIDE enables small businesses, manufacturers, service providers and individuals to identify vulnerabilities, mitigate risks and secure IoT devices against the growing volume of threats to this interconnected environment, the organization asserts.
5. All Partner Programs: Search the comprehensive ChannelE2E Partner Program Database here. Also, submit your company information here and your partner program can be listed in the database.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.
1. Microsoft Windows Patch: Link is “Not Found”: https://www.msspalert.com/mssp-alert/managed-security-services-provider-mssp-news-16-august-2019/.%20https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2019/08/15/microsoft-releases-security-update-windows-elevation-privilege
Emily: I apologize for the link issue. I’ll update this comment when the link is fixed.