Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 19 August 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Ransomware Attacks – Texas Government Agencies: Coordinated ransomware attacks have hit at least 23 local government entities in Texas, according to the state’s Department of Information Resources (DIR). Stay tuned to MSSP Alert for updates to this ongoing story.
2. Threat Detection & Response – Asia Pacific: Vectra, a provider of network threat detection and response services, has opened a regional headquarters in Sydney, Australia as a springboard into the Asia-Pacific region. Vectra, which recently raised $100 million in Series E funding, develops the Cognito platform.
3. Data Breach – Broadband Services: Cable One Inc. (aka Sparklight) said August 16 that a data breach earlier this year could have affected the personal information of some current and former employees, but also could have reached some of those employees’ family members, Phoenix Business Journal reports.
4. McAFee Files Suit: McAfee is suing Dixons Carphone, accusing the retailer of flouting an agreement to promote its products and instead marketing those of a rival Symantec, which it claims will cost more than £30m in lost sales, The Times reports in the United Kingdom.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Talent – Palo Alto Networks: Dave Peranich, executive vice president of worldwide sales at Palo Alto Networks, is leaving after three years at the cybersecurity company, The Information reports. The Palo Alto Networks channel team reported up to Peranich.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.