Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 21 August 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. M&A – Security Operations Consulting: DXC Technology has acquired Syscom, a ServiceNow partner with security operations and IT service management (ITSM) expertise.
2. Security Operations Center for MSPs: Continuum has opened a new security operations center (SOC) in Pittsburgh. The SOC, part of Continuum’s global cybersecurity defense system for MSPs, offers managed detection and response (MDR), and 24×7 monitoring. Tyrone Smith, a FedEx supply chain information security advisor, leads the Pittsburgh SOC operations. Continuum will offer tours of the SOC during its Navigate19 conference in Pittsburgh this October. A separate conference is planned for Las Vegas.
3. MSP Threat Monitoring: RocketCyber, a threat monitoring platform for MSPs, has announced general availability of Defender Manager, a multi-tenant command-and-control app for Microsoft Defender.
4. MSPs – Two-Factor Authentication: Pulseway, a provider of RMM (remote monitoring and management) software, has enhanced its two-factor authentication capabilities to help MSPs lock down their IT environments. Pulseway is rumored to be owned by Kaseya. A growing number of MSP software providers are introducing or enhancing two-factor authentication capabilities to help block credential theft and reduce the risk of ransomware attacks.
5. AWS Security Configurations: Some new clues about Amazon’s overall AWS security strategy emerged in a letter from the cloud service giant to Senator Ron Wyden…
6. Box Security: Box has announced Box Shield, a set of new content security controls and intelligent threat detection capabilities for the content management and file sharing platform. Built natively into Box, Box Shield helps prevent accidental data leakage, detects potential access misuse, and proactively identifies relevant threats, the company says. Box Shield is in private beta and will become generally available in the fall of 2019.
7. Payroll Cyberattack: Tangipahoa Parish School System employees in Louisiana will receive a paycheck this week despite the district’s payroll system being disabled during a recent cyberattack. The payment won’t include scheduled pay increases, including the recently-approved Legislative increase implemented across the state, The Advocate reports.
8. Healthcare IT Security: FireEye’s latest research tracking healthcare IT cyber threats is here.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Vulnerability Management & ITSM: Digital Defense has integrated its Frontline.Cloud vulnerability management and threat assessment platform with the Cherwell IT Service Management (ITSM) platform.
2. Threat Intelligence & Security Operations: ThreatConnect has updated its integration with Flashpoint, a Business Risk Intelligence (BRI) platform. With this latest integration, joint customers can now leverage the Flashpoint API to import Finished Intelligence reports, Risk Intelligence Observables (RIOs), and Technical Indicators into ThreatConnect.
3. DevOps Security: Puppet has launched a vulnerability remediation solution called Puppet Remediate. Initial channel partners are Bitbone and Fishtech.
4. All Partner Programs: Search the comprehensive ChannelE2E Partner Program Database here. Also, submit your company information here and your partner program can be listed in the database.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.