Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 21 November 2018
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Wednesday, November 21, 2018.
13. Mystery Hacker’s Identity Revealed?: A notorious hacker known only as tessa88 may be Maksim Donakov of Penza, Russia, who operated under multiple different monikers on the dark web, according to a Recorded Future investigation. The hacker allegedly offered for sale the databases of companies such as VKontakte, Mobango, Myspace, Badoo, QIP, Dropbox, Rambler, LinkedIn, and Twitter, among others, Recorded Future claims.
12. Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Services: F-Secure has launched Rapid Detection & Response — a service that features so-called Broad Context Detection and Elevate capabilities. F-Secure Rapid Detection & Response, available through F-Secure’s global partner network, is an endpoint detection and response (EDR) solution that monitors customer systems to identify suspicious behavior. Broad Context Detection distinguish malicious behavior patterns from normal user behavior. The Elevate capabilities essentially sends tough or urgent incidents to F-Secure’s threat hunters, the company says.
11. Telecom Hacks: Ironically, telecom companies are among the worst organizations when it comes to responding to DNS attacks, according to EfficientIP research. Among the research findings:
- 81% of telecom organizations took three days or more to apply a critical security patch after notification;
- 45% had to close down specific affected processes and connections; and
- 30% reported sensitive customer information stolen.
10. Identity and Access Management (IAM): Okta continues to expand its API gateway ecosystem, adding NGINX to the Okta Integration Network. Okta can provide API Access Management for many of the API industry’s gateways, helping organizations secure enterprise data while also enabling developers to focus on building incredible user experiences, the company claims.
9. Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR): Sophos says Intercept X Advanced with Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) is now available following an Early Access Program that allowed customers to trial the new technology.
8. Azure Security: AlgoSec is integrating its Security Management Suite with Microsoft Azure Firewall to support central security management, the company says.
7. Apple iPhone Security: Avast has launched Avast Mobile Security for iOS users. Available in both a free and a premium version, Avast Mobile Security protects iPhone and iPad user identities, the company asserts. The software also allows users to browse safely and privately, connecting to secure networks, while protecting personal data such as photos, Avast asserts.
6. Email Security: Mimecast has launched Mimecast for IBM QRadar, which integrates email security data into IBM’s security intelligence technology. Joint customers gain improved visibility into potential vulnerabilities and ongoing attacks occurring via email, enabling prioritized incident response through one single console and an increased security posture, Momecast claims. IBM QRadar is widely used by numerous MSSPs.
4. Breach Detection Software: RapidFire Tools Inc. has added a new set of enhanced breach detection tools to its Cyber Hawk insider threat detection solution. Cyber Hawk’s new “ABDS” (Advanced Breach Detection System) enhances its existing internal security scan with new technology that searches network end-points for the tell-tale code that malicious hackers leave behind, the company claims.
3. AWS and PCI Compliance: Anitian, a Top 100 MSSP, has released Sherlock Compliance Automation for PCI. The offering, abbreviated as SCA-PCI, automates the creation and management of high compliance environments in the AWS cloud. The offering addresses Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) across multiple AWS regions — including the AWS (US) GovCloud region. The announcement surfaces one week before the massive AWS re:Invent 2018 conference in Las Vegas.
2. Top 10 Security Lists for 2019: We’re rolling out multiple Top 10 lists to help you strengthen your security posture for customers in 2019. The lists so far include…
- Top 10 SIEM Software Tools and Companies for 2019
- Top 10 Cloud Access Security Brokers for 2019
- Top 10 Managed Security Services for 2019
- More lists are surfacing daily. Track them all here.
1. MSSP Pricing Guide: We’ll share managed security pricing tips during our December webcast. Register now to join us.