Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 21 October 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
2. MSP Encryption Technology: Beachhead Solutions has released SimplySecure for MSPs version 6.5 — an upgrade to the company’s encryption and access control technology SimplySecure for MSPs allows partners to enforce and manage device security on their clients’ PCs, Macs, USB storage devices, mobile phones, tablets and servers.
3. Ransomware Decryption Tool: Emsisoft has released a free decryption tool that addresses most ransomware attacks known as STOP (aka Djvu). The tool can recover files encrypted by 148 of the 160 known STOP variants and will enable approximately 70% of victims to recover their data without paying the ransom, Emsisoft says.
4. Ransomware Attacks School: The San Bernardino City Unified School District has suffered a ransomware attack, locking faculty and staff out of their e-mails over the weekend and forcing classes to proceed without WiFi and other tech-based tools beginning Monday, October 21, The Sun reports.
5. Ransomware Attacks Legal Application: TrialWorks, a vertical market software company in the legal sector, was reportedly hit by a ransomware attack, shutting down its platform for at least four days and locking some lawyers out of their case files, according to LawSites.
6. Research – Boardrooms and Cybersecurity Disconnect: Within only 28 percent of organizations, the board and CEO determines and/or approves the acceptable level of cyber risk for the organization, according to a survey by Ponemon Institute on behalf of AttackIQ. Moreover, only 21 percent of respondents said their board and CEO require cybersecurity due diligence in a merger and acquisition process. We’re double-checking to potentially determine the size of organizations that participated in the survey.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- Mimecast Cyber Resilience Summit (October 28-30, Dallas)
- Qualys Security Conference (November 18-21, Las Vegas)
- Infosecurity and ISACA North America Expo and Conference (November 20-21, New York)
- NEW: PercyhCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.