Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 22 August 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Texas Ransomware and MSPs: Some folks are speculating that the massive Texas ransomware attacks across 22 local governments involved an MSP as the central point of attack. But here are the latest facts about the case.
2. Ransomware Tip Sheet: The Department of Homeland Security has released a CISA Insights Ransomware Outbreak tip sheet — which is designed to help organizations safeguard their systems from ransomware attacks.
3. M&A – SIEM and Security Training: SIEM specialist Elastic N.V. has acquired Perched LLC, a training and consulting company focused on security analytics, threat hunting and security operations.
4. Cybersecurity Testing: Agio, a provider of cybersecurity and managed IT services for the financial services, healthcare and payments industries, has launched a nw technical testing program focused on four categories:
- Penetration Tests & Vulnerability Assessments
- Attach & Breach Simulations
- Security Architecture & Configuration
- End-User Technical Evaluations
5. Talent – Industrial Control System Security: Mission Secure Inc. (MSi) has named Don Ward as senior VP of global services. Ward leads all aspects of Mission Secure’s client delivery including MSi Platform deployment and support, cyber advisory services, cyber risk assessments and ongoing client experience management.
6. Talent – Risk Mitigation: Tenable has hired Symantec veteran Matthew Olton as senior VP of Corporate Development and Strategy. Olton will work with the broader security technology ecosystem to ensure Tenable delivers on its mission to help global enterprise customers understand and reduce their cybersecurity risk in the digital era, the company says.
7. Talent – Security Validation: AttackIQ has hired Dariush Afshar as vice president of business development and corporate strategy. Afshar previously held key roles at Aruba Networks (HP Enterprise), Cisco Systems, McKinsey & Co. and several early-stage, venture backed startups.
8. Microsoft Office 365 Security: Kaspersky’s Security for Microsoft Office 365 has expanded its protection capabilities from Exchange Online to now include the Microsoft OneDrive storage service.
9. Data Lake Security: Okera has unveiled Okera Policy Builder, a new feature of the company’s data lake security and governance platform that enables data stewards and governance teams to easily, the company says.
10. Research – Phishing Attacks: What are the 25 most impersonated brands in phishing attacks? The answer includes Microsoft, Facebook and 23 other companies — as tracked by the latest Phishers’ Favorites report from Vade Secure. An email security provider, Vade Secure recently partnered with Datto to promote MSP-centric services.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Security Operations Centers (SOCs): Cyberbit and Purdue University are partnering to enhance cybersecurity workforce education and training. To commence the partnership, Purdue University will launch a Cyberbit Range, a hyper-realistic, simulated training platform for cybersecurity practitioners.
2. SIEM and SOC Services: JASK has joined the Cisco Security Technical Alliance (CSTA) partner ecosystem. Through the partnership, the companies have integrated JASK’s cloud-native SIEM platform with several Cisco products, including its Cisco ASA next-generation firewalls, Cisco Advanced Malware Protection for Endpoints (AMP4EP) and Cisco Umbrella cloud security offerings.
3. Distribution – SOCaaS: Arrow Electronics and ON2IT have partnered to promote security operations center as-a-service (SOCaaS). The service leverages a Palo Alto Networks technology stack — including Next Generation Firewalls, Cortex XDR, Traps and the combination of Managed Next-Generation Firewall, Managed Traps and the Cortex Data Lake.
4. All Partner Programs: Search the comprehensive ChannelE2E Partner Program Database here. Also, submit your company information here and your partner program can be listed in the database.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.