Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 24 June 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
Here’s the daily business update for Monday, June 24, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Expansion – MSSP, MDR & Cyber Consulting: Security Risk Advisors has expanded Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, office and opened a new location in Rochester, New York. SRA has expanded from four employees to 140 since launching in 2010, and the business has grown an average of 20 percent each year. The company’s consulting services include ethical hacking, risk assessments, compliance, engineering, and managed detection and response (MDR) offerings.
2. Talent – SOCaaS: Digital Hands has hired Charlotte Kibert as VP of customer success and John Salmon as VP of sales. The MSSP offers security operations center as a service (SOCaaS) capabilities to MSP and MSSP partners. Key alliances include Ingram Micro.
3. Talent – SonicWall: The cybersecurity company has hired Akamai veteran Terry Greer-King as Vice President of Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) Sales. SonicWall continues to promote a “partner-friendly, direct touch model,” the company says.
4. NIST – Consultants & Cybersecurity Guidance: NIST has released draft guidance for contractors that work with government agencies. It includes 31 new recommendations for contractors to harden their defenses and protect unclassified (but still sensitive) government data that resides on their networks from advanced persistent threats (APT) or government-sponsored hackers, Federal Computer Week reports.
5. M&A and Cyber Due Diligence: How is cybersecurity due diligence impacting mergers and acquisitions? This Forescout research provides some clues.
6. Privacy – Oregon Data Breach: The Oregon Department of Human Services is sending notices by mail to approximately 645,000 clients — notifying them that their personal information was compromised during a previously announced January 2019 data breach, according to a media release.
8. Hackers Hit Airport USB Charging Stations: Using public USB ports in airports can expose your smartphone to so-called juice jacking hacks and data theft, according to Fox News.
9. Cyber War – U.S. vs. Iran: U.S. military cyber forces launched a strike against Iranian military computer systems on Thursday as President Donald Trump backed away from plans for a more conventional military strike in response to Iran’s downing of a U.S. surveillance drone, the Associated Press reports. On the flip side, Iranian hackers are ramping up attacks against U.S. targets, The Washington Times reports…
B. Next Five Technology Conferences
- AWS re:inforce Cloud Cybersecurity Conference 2019 (June 25-26, Boston, Massachusetts)
- MSSP Accelerator: Sales and Marketing Summit (July 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Cyber:Secured Forum 2019 (July 29-31, Austin, Texas)
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.