Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 25 July 2018
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the update for Wednesday, July 25, 2018.
10. Germany Cyber Military Plans: Germany is considering laws that would let it respond actively to foreign cyber-attacks, Interior Minister Horst Seehofer as he presented a domestic intelligence agency report showing Iran was the latest power to ramp up hack attacks on German systems, Reuters says.
9. Facebook & Election Security: Facebook officials on Tuesday said the company is using a range of techniques including artificial intelligence to counter Russian operatives or others who use deceptive tactics and false information to manipulate public opinion, Reuters notes.
8. State Privacy Rankings: Which U.S. states offer the best privacy laws and associated initiatives? Here are the rankings…
6. Ransomware Defense: Rubrik has launched Polaris Radar — which leverages machine learning to model threat behavior, accelerating how enterprises mitigate data security incidents, the company says. In the event of a ransomware attack, enterprises can minimize business disruption and data loss by recovering in just a few clicks across their entire environment, Rubrik asserts.
5. Virginia Bank Hacked: Hackers used phishing emails to break into a Virginia bank in two separate cyber intrusions over an eight-month period, making off with more than $2.4 million total, Krebs On Security reports. Now the financial institution is suing its insurance provider for refusing to fully cover the losses, the report adds.
2. Pentration Testing Success: Penetration testers are able to gain complete administrative control of their target network 67% of the time when that function is within the scope of the test, according to Rapid7.
1. ERP Application Attacks: Multiple ERP application platforms are under attack, according to a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) alert. We’ll share more details soon.