Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 25 July 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Thursday, July 25, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Ransomware Attack – Power Grid: A ransomware attack has crippled City Power, the electric utility for Johannesburg, South Africa. That grid is particularly important since it powers South Africa’s financial district, Reuters notes.
2. Security Gateways: Check Point Software Technologies has launched multiple network security gateway appliances. They include:
- 26000 Turbo – 3U Check Point appliance with 30 Gbps Gen V threat prevention, 316 Gbps firewall throughput and a fully redundant power supply and storage configuration.
- 16000 Plus – 2U Check Point appliance with 12 Gbps Gen V threat prevention, 159 Gbps firewall throughput and a fully redundant power supply and storage configuration.
- 16000 Base – Same form factors and performance as the 16000 Plus. This appliance provides the flexibility to tailor the network, storage and power supply configurations, the company says.
3. Government Security – Palo Alto Networks: The Palo Alto Networks WildFire malware prevention service has completed the FedRAMP authorization process, which means federal agencies can leverage the service if they so choose.
4. Password Exposure: Commission-free stock trading startup Robinhood instructed some users to change their passwords on Wednesday, after discovering a logging error that left some customer credentials vulnerable, Reuters reports.
5. Citrix Breach: A recent Citrix data breach was blamed on poor password security…
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. MSP Email Security: Demand for Barracuda’s email security services continues to accelerate.
2. All Partner Programs: Search the comprehensive ChannelE2E Partner Program Database here. Also, submit your company information here and your partner program can be listed in the database.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Cyber:Secured Forum 2019 (July 29-31, Austin, Texas)
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.