Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 25 September 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Cloud SIEM: Microsoft Azure Sentinel, a cloud-based SIEM platform, is now generally available.
2. Funding – Cyber Insurance: Cowbell Cyber, a Pleasanton, Calif.-based startup focused on Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered cyber insurance for small to mid-sized enterprises, has raised $3.3 million in seed funding, Finsmes reports.
3. Research – Phishing Attacks: Malware volume rose 64 percent in Q2 2019 vs. Q2 2018, according to the WatchGuard Internet Security Report for Q2 2019.
4. Research – Ransomware: Looks like the GandCrab malware authors haven’ retired, according to Secureworks research.
5. Talent – Email Security: Mimecast is promoting Dino DiMarino to chief revenue officer. Also, COO Ed Jennings will exit the company at the end of 2019 to pursue CEO opportunities in the technology industry. We wonder if Jennings is in line to run Webroot parent Carbonite, which is currently seeking a CEO.
6. Talent – Business Risk Intelligence: Flashpoint has hired Ian Schenkel as VP of Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA).
7. Malware Prevention – Open Source: Sonatype, which specializes in software supply chain automation, has expanded its Nexus Intelligence platform with early warning capabilities to detect malicious releases of open source components, known as “counterfeit components,” and block their use within modern software factories, the company says.
8. Cyber Risk Management: RiskLens has unveiled a redesigned version of its platform, and now positions the offering as a full cyber risk management solution.
9. Website Security: PerimeterX has launched Code Defender — a client-side application security solution that protects websites from digital skimming, formjacking and personally identifiable information (PII) harvesting attacks.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. MSP Password Management: SolarWinds has introduced Passportal Site and related market development funds (MDF) to help MSPs build new recurring revenue streams. Passportal Site gives MSP customers the ability to:
- Centralize and safeguard corporate and personal passwords
- Set up folders to organize and categorize passwords
- Manage all employees’ data access rights
- Receive notifications of all passwords known by departing employees and cut access
- Generate strong and unique passwords
- Log in to saved websites with one click
- Run audits and reports internally
More details on the program are available here.
5. Partner Program – Mobile: Blancco Technology Group, which specializes in data erasure and mobile device diagnostics, has built channel partner relationships with Technology Integration Group (TIG), Data Agility Group (DAG), DMI, Computer Professionals International (CPI) and Network Solutions Provider (NSP).
6. IT Services: NXTsoft, a data and risk management software company focused on secure data-centric solutions, has partnered with C Spire Business to offer businesses a suite of cybersecurity information technology services.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 7-10, Washington, D.C.)
- EuroCACS/CSX 2019 (October 16-18, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Mimecast Cyber Resilience Summit (October 28-30, Dallas)
- Infosecurity and ISACA North American Expo and Conference (November 20-21, New York City)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.