Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 26 August 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. MSP – SOC Services: CoNetrix Technology, an MSP in Lubbock, Texas, has launched a Cybersecurity Monitoring and Compliance solution. The solution has security information and event management (SIEM) and security operations center (SOC) capabilities for en-customers. SIEM-as-a Service and SOC-as-a Service options are available for organizations that need a fully hosted solution with monitoring and management, CoNetrix asserts. The MSP did not disclose its chosen SIEM and SOC software platforms.
2. CrowdStrike Funds Startups: CrowdStrike and Accel have partnered to launch Falcon Fund, an $20 million early stage investment fund. Falcon Fund will focus on seed and Series A investments in startups that are building applications on the CrowdStrike Falcon platform. CrowdStrike itself launched a successful IPO in June 2019, and the company has considerable momentum with MSSP partners.
3. M&A – Security Training: Elastic N.V. has acquired security analytics and threat hunting training provider Perched.
4. AI Security – Potential IPO: Megvii Technology Ltd., backed by Alibaba Group, is pursuing a $1 billion IPO (initial public offering) in Hong Kong markets. The company’s technology allows cities to improve public safety and optimize traffic management. But the company may also face pushback from critics who worry about big brother tracking technologies — including facial recognition and various AI (artificial intelligence) technologies.
5. Funding – Privileged Account Management: Remediant, a San Francisco- and Fort Worth-based provider of privileged account management software, has raised $15 million in a series A funding round led by Dell Technologies Capital and ForgePoint Capital, VentureBeat reports.
7. College Cyberattack: Regis University in Denver on August 22 shut down its computer, phone and email systems because of a “malicious” cyberattack that it says probably came from outside the United States, according to CruxNow and The Denver Post.
8. Texas Ransomware Attacks – Update: Nine of the 22 Texas government agencies that recently suffered ransomware attacks have now been named by third-party sources, according to Insurance Business Magazine.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Compliance Management: Caveonix, which automates compliance and security posture management, has inked partnerships with CenturyLink, Dizzion and Summit Technologies. The relationships are on display at VMworld 2019 in San Francisco.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- EuroCACS/CSX 2019 (October 16-18, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.