Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 26 July 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
Here’s the daily business update for Friday, July 26, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Ransomware Attacks – Louisiana State of Emergency: The governor of Louisiana has declared a cybersecurity state of emergency following a series of cyberattacks against various school systems.
2. VPN Vulnerabilities: The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has warned about VPN application vulnerabilities from such providers as Palo Alto Networks, Fortinet and Pulse Secure.
3. New Your Cybersecurity Laws: Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has signed legislation to protect New Yorkers against security breaches. The Shield Act (short for Stop Hacks and Improve Electronic Data Security) imposes stronger obligations on businesses handling private data to provide proper notification to affected consumers when there is a security breach. The Governor also signed legislation requiring consumer credit reporting agencies to offer identity theft prevention and mitigation services to consumers who have been affected by a security breach of the agency’s system.
4. Threat Protection for MSSPs: Baffin Bay Networks has upgraded its threat protection service with multi-tenant capabilities for MSSPs, allowing such partners to resell and manage the service on their own.
5. Virtual Security Operations Center (SOC): Pivot3, a provider of infrastructure solutions, has announced the Virtual Security Operations Center (Virtual SOC). It’s designed to allow security teams to access client workstations running video surveillance and other related systems in multiple locations without using expensive, dedicated client workstation hardware, the company says.
6. SOC for MSPs: inSOC will promote ONE STOP SOC for MSPs at the CompTIA ChannelCon 2019 conference. The SOC “combines a preconfigured, AI-driven detection platform that is quick to onboard and easy to deploy, with wraparound SOC services,” the company asserts.
7. Talent – Antivirus Software: PC Matic, Brandon Sessions its Vice President of Operations and Corporate Strategy. A veteran of the software industry, Sessions will oversee operational improvements and growth initiatives for the company as it looks to expand its operations across the globe.
8. Hotel Security: StrikeForce Technologies has launched a WiFi security platform for hotel guests. The Secure eTravelers program will eventually extend from the hotel industry to airlines, cruise ships, trains, tour businesses and event/meeting planners, the company says.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Cyber:Secured Forum 2019 (July 29-31, Austin, Texas)
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.