Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 26 March 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Tuesday, March 26, 2019.
11. Hacking Smartphones — Ethics: The ethical debate surrounding an Israeli security company called NSO Group and a spyware tool called Pegasus is required reading.
10. Cyberattack – Asustek Computer (ASUS) PCs: Asus confirms that a software update injected malicious code into its PCs, but the Taiwanese PC giant says the attack was not a widespread as a Kaspersky Lab report claims, according to Bloomberg.
9. Cyberattack – Spain: A computer virus infected the Spanish Defence Ministry’s intranet this month with the aim of stealing high tech military secrets, El País newspaper said on Tuesday, citing sources leading the investigation as suspecting a foreign power behind the cyberattack, Reuters says.
8. Data Breaches and Identity Protection: The Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC) has launched Breach Clarity, a decoder that will allow consumers to better understand data breach risks, prioritize the right minimization actions and access ITRC advisors for additional help, the organization says.
7. Protecting Consumer Financial Data: The Financial Data Exchange (FDX) and the OpenID Foundation (OIDF) have announced an agreement to collaborate in order to advance a common technical standard for the secure exchange of consumer financial information, the organizations says.
6. Funding – Industrial Security: CyberX, a Boston, Massachusetts-based IIoT and industrial control system (ICS) security company, has raised $18 million in funding.
5. Research – Incident Response: Carbon Black will unveil its third Global Incident Response Threat Report during the Gulf Information Security Expo & Conference (GISEC 2019), scheduled for April in Dubai.
4. Research – SMBs & MSP Cybersecurity: Nine in 10 SMBs would consider hiring a new MSP if the MSP offered the right cybersecurity solutions, according to a new Continuum-sponsored research report.
3. Research – SonicWall Cyber Threat Report: SonicWall tracked a record 10.52 billion malware attacks in 2018, including 391,689 new attack variants and a major surge in IoT attacks. The complete 2019 SonicWall Cyber Threat Report is here. We’ll share more details later today.
2. MSP Software – Security Assessment Tool: ConnectWise has unveiled Identify, a security assessment tool for MSPs and their end-customers. The tool’s roots extend back to ConnectWise’s buyout of Sienna Group in December 2018.
1. Top 100 MSSPs – 2019 Survey: The survey is now open. Participate and your company could be honored when we unveil the resulting Top 100 MSSPs list and research in September 2019.