Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 27 August 2018
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the update for Monday, August 27, 2018.
8. Hacker Pleads Guilty: A college student Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, pleaded guilty in federal court Friday to hacking the city’s mayor and selling his stolen emails, The Washington Times reports.
7. Double Hack: As Sprint and T-Mobile prepare to merge, both mobile giants say they were hacked. Details of the T-Mobile hack are here. And the Sprint hack information surfaced on TechCrunch.
6. IoT Devices & Security Lawsuits: Hackers are racing to infiltrate internet-connected everyday products — and the security gaps they exploit could spawn a sea of lawsuits, industry lawyers say, raising thorny questions about when manufacturers are liable, Law360 reports.
5. Texas Voter Breach: More than 14 million Texas voter records were exposed on an unprotected server, TechCrunch reports.
4. VMware SD-WAN Security: Plixer, which specializes in network traffic analytics and incident response, now supports VMware NSX SD-WAN by VeloCloud metadata exports. Track all VMware VMworld 2018 news here.
3. Alabama Cyber Policy: The Alabama Office of Information Technology, Secretary of State’s Office and Alabama National Guard are creating a cybersecurity plan, so they know what to do during an attack, according to local news media.
2. Trustwave M&A Lawsuit: An investor filed a proposed class action in Delaware Chancery Court claiming a Top 100 MSSP — Trustwave — improperly gave $15.6 million in stock preference in connection with its $810 million merger with Singapore Telecommunications Ltd. in 2015, Law360 reports. Stockholder Comet Capital said Trustwave and eight board members breached their fiduciary duty and contractual obligations when the merger was approved, contending that preferred stockholders were given $15.6 million in liquidation benefit they should not have received.
1. Top 100 MSSPs 2018: We’ll unveil the complete 2018 list and research during our September webcast. Register now to join us.