Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 23 October 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Managed Detection and Response (MDR): Telus has launched managed detection and response (MDR) services for midmarket customers in Canada.
2. Security Operations Centers: Splunk is focusing its security operations center (SOC) software strategy on a branded platform aptly called Splunk Mission Control. The cloud-based SaaS software — currently in beta testing — allows SOC analysts to detect, manage, investigate, hunt, contain, and remediate threats, the company asserts.
3. Internet of Things (IoT) Security – Legislation: Democratic lawmakers in the House and Senate on Tuesday introduced legislation to increase the security of Internet-connected devices, The Hill reports. The legislation is known as The Cyber Shield Act.
4. Election Security – Legislation: Senate Republicans on Tuesday blocked legislation that would provide funding for states to shore up election security and create more transparency around online advertisements, The Hill reports.
5. Research – Phishing Attacks and Healthcare: There has been a 300 percent jump in phishing emails sent to healthcare organizations during the first quarter of 2019, Proofpoint research reveals.
6. Talent – Zero Trust Security: Centrify has hired SailPoint veteran Howard Greenfield as chief revenue officer. Greenfield has held key posts at Citrix Systems, Zenprise, Wanova (acquired by VMWare), Witness Systems (acquired by Verint Systems), and Mercury Interactive (acquired by HP).
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- Mimecast Cyber Resilience Summit (October 28-30, Dallas)
- Qualys Security Conference (November 18-21, Las Vegas)
- Infosecurity and ISACA North America Expo and Conference (November 20-21, New York)
- PercyhCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.