Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 02 March 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
2. M&A – SPAC and Cybersecurity Merger: QOMPLX, a cloud-native provider of risk analytics for cybersecurity and insurance, is merging with Tailwind Acquisition Corp., a SPAC. Here are details about the deal, which focuses on cloud-based risk mitigation and Microsoft Active Directory Security.
3. M&A – MSSP Merger Update: Roughly one month ago, master MSSP High Wire Networks and Spectrum Global Solutions announced a reverse merger plan. Fast forward to present day, and Mark Porter, High Wire’s CEO, has been named CEO of Spectrum. The lone remaining closing condition involves a pending Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan Forgiveness Application submitted by one of Spectrum’s subsidiaries, the companies say.
4. MSP & RMM Software Security: NinjaRMM plans to hire three cybersecurity professionals as part of a red team threat hunting build-out, Dark Reading reports. NinjaRMM already works with a third-party MSSP and risk assessment firm to maintain its security posture and detect problems, the report says.
5. MSSP Variable Billing: Milton Security, a provider of Threat Hunting as a Service, XDR & MDR (MxDR) SOC Services, has introduced variable billing plan. Customers can now select from annual, quarterly, or monthly billing.
6. MDR Branding: CriticalStart has launched a brand campaign to reshape how decision makers and end users view cybersecurity. The brand campaign involves three key principles:
- Talk like people talk
- Be confident in addressing complex security challenges, not arrogant
- Authenticity above all else
7. Advanced Threat Protection: BitDam, a provider of cybersecurity solutions that protect business communications from unknown threats, has relased BitDam ATP+, an upgraded Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) solution. The offering — designed for enterprises, SMEs and MSPs — defends customers from malware, phishing, business email compromise (BEC) attacks, account compromise and spam, BitDam says.
9. Talent: MorganFranklin Consulting has hired Deloitte and KPMG veteran Matt DeFrain as senior director of cybersecurity business development for the company’s cybersecurity practice.
10. Medical IoT Device Security: SAFE Identity, an industry consortium and certification body operating a Trust Framework for digital identities in healthcare, has announced the Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) working group. This group, composed of digital identity experts, will “establish industry standards and guidance for medical device manufacturers to build trusted, secure and interoperable credentials into their products on the production line,” the organizations say.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Partner Program – Secure Access: Appgate has launched Appgate Sentinel Program, a new incentive program designed for its worldwide channel partners.
2. Partnership – Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR): Armor Anywhere, a cloud security platform, will utilize VMware Carbon Black Cloud Enterprise EDR to extend threat detection and response to end user devices. Armor Anywhere provides “unified visibility across hybrid and multi-cloud environments supported by a 24×7 security operations center (SOC),” the company says.
3. Compliance Automation: Strike Graph, a compliance automation startup, has launched an AI technology platform. Strike Graph was built to help companies successfully pass their cybersecurity audit.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Fortinet Accelerate 2021 (March 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Huntress hack_it 2021 (March 22-24, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar