Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 07 April 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Talent – MSSP Marketing: deepwatch, a Top 250 MSSP, has hired Checkmarx and CyberArk veteran Christy Lynch as chief marketing officer (CMO).
2. RSA Conference 2021 Keynote: SolarWinds President and CEO Sudhakar Ramakrishna is scheduled to keynote RSA Conference 2021 on May 19. He’s expected to discuss key learnings from the supply chain attack that hit SolarWinds Orion.
3. Funding – Data Protection and Recovery: Former Forcepoint CEO John McCormack has invested in NeuShield and joined the company’s board of directors.
4. Research – Cyber Insurance Costs: Here are the findings.
5. Security Compliance: Ascent has launched Security Compliance Portal version 5.0. Designed to manage security and compliance tasks throughout their lifecycle, the new portal is a “cost-effective solution for companies looking to meet and adhere to leading frameworks, with the insight and accountability needed to prove regulatory compliance,” Ascent asserts.
6. Risk Management: Tessian has introduced the Human Layer Risk Hub — a solution that offers organizations “full visibility into employees’ risk levels and drivers on email, enabling a more tailored approach to employee security,” the company says.
7. Kubernetes Container Security: VMware’s Carbon Black endpoint security business has launched container security to protect Kubernetes applications across any public cloud or on-premises deployment, the company says.
8. Endpoint Device Security: Absolute Software has introduced platform enhancements that further enable customers to “swiftly pinpoint and respond to potential endpoint security risks across remote, distributed device fleets,” the company asserts.
9. Microsoft Azure and 365 Security: Redstor has announced new services “designed to transform the way Microsoft partners manage and protect customer data in Microsoft Azure and Microsoft 365.” The Redstor approach allows partners to:
- Identify and remove threats from backup sets through AI-driven malware detection.
- Back up and recover Kubernetes environments on Azure.
- Migrate and recover full systems to Azure from any cloud or data center.
- Leverage Azure storage to protect clients quickly, whether the tenancy is the MSP’s, the customer’s, or Redstor’s, the company says.
10. Brown University Cyberattack: Details are here.
11. Alleged Shopify Hacker: A grand jury has indicted a California resident accused of stealing Shopify customer data on over a hundred merchants, TechCrunch reported.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships, Strategic Alliances and Integrations
2. Integration – Zero Trust and Managed Devices: Beyond Identity now integrates with Jamf, Microsoft Intune, and VMware Workspace ONE UEM. The connections can collect additional device attributes to further expand risk-based authentication decisions, Beyond Identity says.
3. Integration – Identity and Access Management (IAM): Code42 has integrated with Okta Identity Cloud. The connection allows security teams to “perform quicker, more accurate investigations as the integration automates access controls, delivers additional user-context and automates response workflows for departing or high-risk users,” the companies say.
5. Partnership – Intrusion Detection: Liquid Web customers can now leverage Threat Stack Oversight Intrusion Detection System as an additional layer of security to Liquid Web servers with an advanced Intrusion Detection System (IDS), the companies say.
7. Partnership – Managed Detection and Response (MDR): Castra has deployed the Anomali ThreatStream threat intelligence platform (TIP) to expand visibility over adversaries, support threat hunting activities, and speed response capabilities for all of its MDR customers, the companies say.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Cloud Security Summit 2021 from Fortinet (April 6-7, Virtual)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Proofpoint Protect 2021 (June 8-9, Virtual Conference)
- ConnectWise IT Nation Secure 2021 (June 21-23, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar