Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 08 September 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. M&A – Security Operations: Network security policy management (NSPM) software company FireMon has acquired DisruptOps, a cloud security operations platform that monitors, alerts and responds to security risk in real-time across public cloud infrastructure.
2. Talent – Secureworks CEO: Wendy K. Thomas, as expected, succeeded Michael R. Cote as CEO of Secureworks on September 3. The MSSP, which is pushing hard into SaaS-based XDR services, announced the planned executive transition earlier this year.
4. CMMC Training – Government Security: Celerium now offers an online CMMC course, which is designed to help U.S. government contractors and subcontractors prepare for CMMC Level 3 assessment. The U.S. Department of Defense introduced the CMMC (Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification) program in an effort to improve the cybersecurity of the 300,000+ contractors and subcontractors in the defense supply chain.
5. DDoS Attacks Hit Service Providers: At least three UK VoIP providers have been hit by a DDoS attack, according to the Cloud Communications Alliance (CCA), UC Today reports.
6. DDoS Attacks Hit New Zealand: A Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack hit the New Zealand post office and multiple banks on Wednesday. The country’s Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) is striving to assist affected parties, Reuters reports.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships, Strategic Alliances and Integrations
1. Penetration Testing Certification: CREST, a not-for-profit accreditation and certification body representing the technical information security industry, has launched the first of four new practical penetration testing certifications that are designed to be delivered via selected Pearson Vue centers around the world.
2. Integration – SIEM (Security Information and Event Management): Farsight Security’s DNSDB now integrates with IBM Security QRadar Security SIEM. The result: MSSPs and customers gain contextual DNS information to “increase the value of your threat data, helping advance cyberattack investigations,” the companies say. The new application is freely available to the security community through IBM Security App Exchange, a marketplace where developers across the industry can share applications based on IBM Security technologies.
3. Integration – Open XDR and Firewalls: Stellar Cyber has joined the SonicWall SecureFirst Partner Program to integrate Stellar Cyber’s advanced threat detection and response with SonicWall’s prevention technology, the two companies say.
C. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Fortinet Championship Security Summit (September 13 and 17, Napa, California)
- Top 250 MSSPs 2021 List (September 16, Live Webcast and On-Demand)
- CMMC Con 2021 (September 29, Virtual Event)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- Exabeam Spotlight21 (October 4-6, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar