Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 09 January 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
2. M&A – Identity and Access Management (IAM): Zeva, a Public Key Enablement, IT modernization software, and IT services company, has acquired NextgenID, a provider of government-approved Trusted Identity Assurance, Management, and Credentialing solutions.
3. Cybersecurity Startups – Accelerator: Keep an eye on Inventors 2 Founders, a new accelerator for academia-affiliated cybersecurity startups that gets under way in February at Columbia University. Ten startups were accepted out of 55 applications for the accelerator, which is funded with $3.2 million from New York City’s cybersecurity initiative Cyber NYC, The Wall Street Journal reports.
4. Cryptocurrency Cyberattacks: Kaspersky’s Global Research and Analysis Team (GReAT) has published new findings on AppleJeus, an operation aimed at stealing cryptocurrency carried out by prolific threat actor, Lazarus group. Victims in the UK, Poland, Russia and China, in addition to several business entities connected to cryptocurrency, were affected during the operation.
5. Snake Ransomware: Security researchers have observed samples of the new SNAKE ransomware family targeting organizations’ entire corporate networks, Security Boulevard reports.
6. TikTok Vulnerabilities: Check Point Research has uncovered multiple vulnerabilities in TikTok, the content sharing application that millions of kids leverage.
7. Software Patching – The Perfect Storms: Circle January 14, April 14 and July 14 on your calendar. Here’s why.
B. MSSP Partnerships and Strategic Alliances
1. Funding – MSP Partner Push: Curricula has raised $3 million from RCP Equity and will promote cybersecurity awareness training via MSPs, according to this report.
2. Talent – Container Security: DivvyCloud more than doubled its revenue in 2019, though the company didn’t disclose actual dollar or profit figures. Headcount also doubled to 75 people. New hires include Brandie Kalinowski as Vice President of People and Culture, and David Geevaratne as Vice President of North American Sales.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- CPX 360: Check Point 2020 Conference (January 27-29, New Orleans)
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.