Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 09 September 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. MSSPs and Cyber Data Management: Hydrolix is promoting an elastic cloud data platform to MSSPs that need to more effectively manage cyber-related data while avoiding runaway data management and storage ixcosts. The startup has raised $10 million from such backers as Wing Venture Capital, AV8 Ventures, Oregon Venture Fund and Silicon Valley Data Capital. The Hydrolix executive team has a “long track record” in the CDN market — where data volumes are enormous, the company notes. Early Hydrolix adopters include Arkose Labs.
2. Talent – Part One: Menlo Security has hired Devin Ertel as chief information security officer (CISO).
3. Talent – Part Two: Query.AI, which develops a security investigations control plane for enterprises, has named Rob Anderson as VP of sales and Susan Vaillancourt as chief marketing officer (CMO). Both executives report to Andrew Maloney, the company’s co-founder and chief operating officer (COO).
4. Funding: Inpher, which develops “secret computing” technology, has received a strategic investment from Swisscom Ventures. Financial terms were not disclosed. Existing investors include the Amazon Alexa Fund, JPMorgan Chase & Co, Crosslink Capital, Bowery Capital and Alpana Ventures.
5. Identity Detection and Response: The Attivo Networks Endpoint Detection Net (EDN) suite now features ThreatStrike functionality, which “allows organizations to hide real credentials from attacker tools and bind them to their applications.” The result: Attivo can cloak real credentials from attackers, the company says.
6. Digital Identity Management: A ForgeRock Autonomous Identity update is “designed to help enterprises reduce risk and more efficiently manage workforce access.”
7. Multi-Cloud Network Security: The new Valtix 2.9 release enable customers to identify security gaps and deploy network-based cloud security controls across Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform and Oracle Cloud.
8. Ransomware Response Services: Commvault has launched Ransomware Protection and Response Services. The services help to harden customers’ Commvault solutions from an attack; review the state of their data protection solution over time; and help them recover critical data if an attack occurs, Commvault says. The Commvault announcement did not mention whether the services are available via MSPs and resellers.
9. Compliance: BlackCloak, which provides concierge-oriented cybersecurity for executives and high-profile Individuals, has completed a Service Organization Control (SOC) 2 Type II audit and earned the SOC 2 Type II certification.
10. Threat Research – Part One: AT&T Alien Labs has discovered a new campaign by threat group TeamTNT that is targeting multiple operating systems and applications.
11. Threat Research – Part Two: Symantec, part of Broadcom Software, has linked the recently discovered Sidewalk backdoor to the China-linked Grayfly espionage group, the company says.
12. McDonalds Data Leak: A bug in the McDonald’s Monopoly VIP game in the United Kingdom caused the login names and passwords for the game’s database to be sent to all winners, BleepingComputer reports.
13. United Nations Data Breach: Hackers breached the United Nations’ computer networks in early 2021 and made off with a trove of data that could be used to target agencies within the intergovernmental organization, Bloomberg reports.
14. Russia DDoS Attack: Russian Internet giant Yandex suffered a cyberattack that the Vedomosti daily reported was largest DDoS attack in the history of the Russian segment of the internet, Reuters reports.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships, Strategic Alliances and Integrations
2. Partnership – MDR (Managed Detection and Response): Cybereason and Smarttech247 are partnering to “enable joint customers to detect and end cyber attacks on endpoints anywhere on their networks,” the two companies say.
4. Integration: One Identity’s Identity Manager now integrates with ServiceNow. End-users can make identity-related requests through a familiar service catalog, either in Identity Manager or in ServiceNow, the two companies say.
C. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Fortinet Championship Security Summit (September 13 and 17, Napa, California)
- Top 250 MSSPs 2021 List (September 16, Live Webcast and On-Demand)
- CMMC Con 2021 (September 29, Virtual Event)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- Exabeam Spotlight21 (October 4-6, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar