Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 10 September 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Russia Targets Biden Campaign: Russian state-backed hackers recently targeted an advisory firm that serves Joe Biden’s presidential campaign, according to a warning from Microsoft to the advisory firm, according to Reuters.
2. Funding – Automated Penetration Testing: Pcysys has completed a $25 million Series B Funding round led by Insight Partners, along with existing investors, Awz Ventures and The Blackstone Group. The company has raised $40 million to date. MSSPs can leverage Pcysys PenTara to provide remote penetration testing as a service to clientele.
3. Funding – Container and Kubernetes Security: StackRox has secured an additional $26.5 million in funding and achieved more than 240% revenue growth in the first half of the year. Menlo Ventures led the funding round with participation from Highland Capital Partners and Hewlett-Packard Enterprise along with StackRox’s existing investors, Sequoia Capital and Redpoint Ventures.
4. Talent – Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Part One: CriticalStart has promoted VP Carrie Kelly to chief marketing officer.
5. Talent – Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Part Two: Redscan has named Mark Doughty as chief financial officer (CFO).
6. Cyber Protection: Acronis has released Acronis Cyber Protect 15, which integrates backup, disaster recovery, next-generation antimalware, cybersecurity, and endpoint management tools into a single solution.
7. XDR: Trend Micro has announced Worry-Free XDR, which is designed to extend the power of correlated detection and response beyond the endpoint for smaller businesses. This channel offering is available now as a standalone or managed solution for SMB customers.
8. Network Detection and Response: Cisco has released Stealthwatch 7.3.0 with a range of new automated response and management features.
9. VoIP Malware: ESET researchers have discovered and analyzed malware that targets Voice over IP (VoIP) softswitches. This new malware, named CDRThief by ESET, is designed to target a very specific VoIP platform used by two China-made softswitches (software switches): Linknat VOS2009 and VOS3000, ESET says.
10. M&A – Secure Communications: AddSecure has signed an agreement to acquire Telia’s Alerta business from Telia Finland. Telia´s Alerta enable secure alarm transmission and remote management of multiple systems targeted at the public sector and private companies.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conferences
- BlackBerry Security Summit 2020 (October 5-7, Virtual Conference)
- ConnectWise IT Nation Secure 2020 (October 14-15, Virtual Conference)
- Exabeam Spotlight20 (November 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- Palo Alto Networks Ignite20 (November 17-19, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar