Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 11 January 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. New Zealand Bank Hacked: The Reserve Bank of New Zealand is investigating a data system breach, the organization said on Sunday.
2. SolarWinds Orion Hack – More Russian Fingerprints? Kaspersky said the SolarWinds Orion hack closely resembled malware tied to a hacking group known as Turla, which Estonian authorities have said operates on behalf of Russia’s FSB security service, according to a Reuters report.
2. New MSSP Emerges: A Charlottesville, Virginia, company called Cyberopz has launched to address a range of MSSP market opportunities.
3. Rebrand – Cyber Risk Management: NormShield has rebranded as Black Kite. Alsom the company has relocated its headquarters from Vienna, Virginia to Boston, Massachusetts. Meanwhile, Black Kite’s annual recurring revenues doubled in 2020 compared to 2019, and the business raised $7.5 million in Series A funding during the year. The total number of customers also grew by more than 400% over the past two years. Black Kite did not disclose actual revenue or profit figures.
4. Privileged Access Management (PAM) for MSPs): ThreatLocker has announced ThreatLocker Elevation Control, a Privileged Access Management (PAM) solution that provides MSPs with the ability to quickly add or remove administrative rights and easily control application elevation for users, without interrupting application, device or system performance, the company says.
5. Threat Hunting Investigations: Constella Intelligence has released Hunter, a platform for investigating threat actors and unmasking attackers, the company says.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar