Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 12 October 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. MSSP Partner Momentum – Open XDR: Twelve of the Top 250 MSSPs have embraced Stellar Cyber Open XDR, according to the cybersecurity startup. Stellar Cyber’s Open XDR platform works with customers’ existing EDR, SIEM, UEBA, NDR, and other solutions to preserve their investments, Stellar Cyber notes.
2. Funding – Multi-Cloud Security: Wiz has raised $250 million in Series C funding, led by Insight Partners and Greenoaks Capital. Wiz technology allows partners and customers to safeguard workloads across Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
3. Funding – Operational Technology and Security: Shift5, an OT cybersecurity company that defends military platforms and commercial transportation systems from cyberattacks, has raised $20 million in Series A funding. The round was led by 645 Ventures, with participation from Squadra Ventures, General Advance, and First In.
4. Funding: CYTRIO has raised $3.5 million in seed funding to address mid-sized companies’ challenges of meeting increasing data privacy regulations. Early backers include Dreamit Ventures, Food Retail Ventures, and Rockwood Group.
5. M&A – Cybersecurity Software: McAfee Enterprise has completed the FireEye Products acquisition from Mandiant. The companies will maintain a joint reseller relationship, shared telemetry and frontline threat intelligence to ensure ongoing partner and end-customer support, the firms said. Symphony Technology Group (STG), a private equity firm, backed the McAfee Enterprise-FireEye products business combination.
6. Data Protection – Ransomware Recovery Warranty: Rubrik has launched a $5 million ransomware recovery warranty for Rubrik Enterprise Edition. The warranty is designed to further “assure customers that their data will be available to keep their business running.” The warranty will be available for Rubrik customers running Rubrik Enterprise Edition and working with a Rubrik Customer Experience Manager (CEM) to ensure industry data security best practices are in place. We don’t know what fine print, if any, the warranty includes.
7. Research – AWS S3 Bucket Security: Customers that leverage Amazon Web Services S3 buckets are typically at risk because of their own configuration errors, according to Ermetric research.
8. Research – Linux Malware: ESET researchers have discovered and named a Linux malware family known as FontOnLake. Modules used by this malware family are “constantly under development and provide remote access to the operators, collect credentials, and serve as a proxy server,” ESET warned.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- LogRhythm RhythmWorld Security Conference 2021 (October 12-14, virtual)
- CISA National Cybersecurity Summit 2021 (October 13, 20 & 27, virtual)
- BlackBerry Security Summit (October 13, Virtual)
- Saviynt Converge 21 Identity and Security Conference (November 3-5, Huntington Beach, California)
- Black Hat Europe 2021 (November 8-11, London)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar