Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 13 January 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
2. SolarWinds Hack – Source Code for Sale?: A website named ‘SolarLeaks’ is selling data they claim was stolen from companies breached in the SolarWinds attack, Bleeping Computer reports.
3. Mimecast Hack Impacts Microsoft 365 Accounts: A Mimecast-issued certificate for Microsoft 365 Exchange Web Services has been compromised by a sophisticated threat actor, Mimecast has disclosed. Roughly 10 percent of Mimecast customers use the compromised connection, the company says.
4. Potential Ubiquiti Data Breach: Ubiquiti Networks has told customers to change their passwords and implement two-factor authentication (2FA) after a potential security breach.
5. Cybersecurity Asset Management: Armis, which develops an agentless device security platform, has released Armis Asset Management, a new standalone offering that “delivers 5X more visibility than any other solution in the market today,” the company claims.
6. Talent – Security Orchestration, Automation and Response (SOAR): Swimlane has hired James Brear to succeed CEOCody Cornell, who shifts to chief strategy officer. Brear most recently was CEO of Veriflow, which VMware acquired in 2019.
B. Security Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
2. Partnership – PC Security: ASUS and McAfee have extended their exclusive PC security partnership. Under terms of the five-year extended global agreement, consumer ASUS PCs will receive McAfee security software pre-installed.
3. Partnership – NIST: PC Matic has been named a partner to the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE).
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar