Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 14 August 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
2. SANS Institute Cyberattack: SANS Institute, the provider of cybersecurity training and certification services, lost approximately 28,000 items of personally identifiable information (PII) in a data breach that occurred after a single staff member fell victim to a phishing attack, Security Magazine reports.
3. HIPAA Compliance Hacker Scam: Hackers are using a social engineering scam that involves direct mail postcards, Compliancy Group has warned.
4. Managed Threat Detection and Response (MDR) Services: CBTS, a technology provider that delivers communications, cloud, infrastructure, and consulting solutions to clients across North America, has launched the CBTS Managed Threat Detection and Response Services Solution.
5. Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Ad-On: empow has launched an Extended Detection and Response (XDR) offering called i-XDR. The new product is designed to work alongside an organization’s existing SIEM and security tools, making overall cyberattack identification and remediation more efficient, faster and more cost-effective, empow asserts.
6. SIEM Expansion: Exabeam has more than doubling new and add-on recurring revenue in the first half of FY21 compared to the same period last year, the SIEM software provider says. Much of the growth involves MSSP relationships, though actual revenue figures were not disclosed.
7. Healthcare MSSP – Financial Results: CynergisTek’s revenue was $4.6 million in Q2 of 2020, down $500,000 compared to Q2 of 2019. Key metrics included:
- Managed Services revenue increased slightly to $2.9 million.
- Consulting and professional services revenue decreased $1.3 million due to some contract expirations partially offset by new consulting and professional services revenues from the acquisition of Backbone.
8. Distribution – SonicWall: D&H Distributing has agreed to support SonicWall’s Security-as-a-Service (SECaaS) and Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) partner programs.
9. Privacy – Amazon Alexa Flaw: A flaw in Amazon’s Alexa smart home devices could have allowed hackers access personal information and conversation history, BBC reports, based on information from Check Point Research.
10. Crypto Assets Seized: The U.S. said it seized millions of dollars in cryptocurrency assets and a fake website purporting to sell protective gear in an operation targeting the financial underpinnings of three terrorist groups, The Wall Street Journal reports.