Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 14 January 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Hardware As a Service: The WatchGuard FlexPay program now includes automated, monthly billing for its network security hardware and services. Available for both three-year and pay-as-you-go terms, WatchGuard Subscriptions enable IT solution providers to purchase the company’s network security hardware and services from participating distributors without a commitment or upfront costs. WatchGuard offers multiple consumption models — including existing one- and three-year fixed term contracts, MSSP pre-paid points, and now monthly payments.
2. Mobile Security: Sophos Intercept X for Mobile now includes new features to safeguard Chrome OS, Google Android and Apple iOS devices. Intercept X for Mobile can be managed from Sophos Central, a popular multi-tenant dashboard for MSPs and customers.
3. Phishing Attack: A school district in Manor, Texas, was caught in a phishing email scam that cost $2.3 million in losses within two months, ABC News reports.
4. U.S. Encryption Policy: Attorney General William Barr called the December attack by a Saudi aviation student that killed three people at a Florida Navy base an act of terrorism, escalating pressure on Apple Inc. to help unlock a pair of the gunman’s iPhones that could provide more information about his radicalization, The Wall Street Journal reports.
5. Talent – Cloud Security: Qualys, an MSSP-friendly provider of cloud-based security and compliance solutions, has hired Anomali veteran Dan Barahona as chief marketing officer (CMO).
6. Rebrand – SIEM: The Cloud24x7 US business has rebranded as CybrHawk.
7. Settlement – Patent Disputes: Zscaler will pay $15 million to Broadcom as part of a settlement of all patent lawsuits filed by Symantec against Zscaler, SeekingAlpha reports. Broadcom, which purchased Symantec’s enterprise security business, will provide Zscaler with a license, release, and covenant not to sue, the report ads.
B. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- CPX 360: Check Point 2020 Conference (January 27-29, New Orleans)
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.