Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 15 January 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. U.S. Cybersecurity: President-elect Joe Biden on Wednesday added three experts to his National Security Council to advise him on homeland security and cybersecurity, NPR reports. Biden also added a new position at the NSC focused specifically on cyber and emerging technology, putting Anne Neuberger in that post. She is currently the National Security Agency’s director of cybersecurity, NPR says.
2. Talent – Managed Detection and Response (MDR): CI Security, an MDR security services provider in Seattle, has hired Steve Sedlock as chief revenue officer, and promoted Kristoffer Turner to VP of security operations. Sedlock previously was chief growth officer at EPSi, a provider of financial decision support services in the healthcare industry. Turner is a 3.5-year veteran at CI Security who has built out MDR services for Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services.
5. Ransomware Attack Recovery and Cleanup Costs: The city of Knoxville, Tennessee spent about $217,000 recovering from a ransomware attack — but the city did not pay hacker demands of $393,000, according to a local news report.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar