Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 16 June 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Cybersecurity – US-Russia Summit: President Biden is expected to discuss cybersecurity and alleged cyberattacks launched from Russia soil during a five-hour meeting today with Russia President Vladimir Putin. It’s unclear if the meeting will result in any sort of cyber détente.
2. NATO and Cyberattacks: The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), a military alliance that involves 30 European and North American countries, will consider on a case-by-case basis treating cyberattacks similar to physical attacks against allies.
3. Talent: CyberSheath, an MSP and MSSP focused on compliance for the U.S. defense sector, has hired Tiffany Egenes as customer success director. She oversees all customer success activities from onboarding to adoption to retention. Egenes previously held key posts at Kareo, McKesson and Sungard Availability Services.
6. Mobile Managed Detection and Response (MDR): deepwatch has launched deepwatch MOBILE — a mobile application that gives customers real-time insight into their Security Operations Center (SOC) and threat intelligence delivered to their mobile phone.
7. MSP Compliance and MDR: Blackpoint Cyber has launched an MDR add-on solution called Blackpoint LogIC (Logging with Integrated Compliance). In a prepared statement about the launch, Blackpoint Cyber CEO Jon Murchison said: “We developed LogIC to offer MSPs and their partners a streamlined solution that eliminated the complexities of compliance without compromising security posture.”
8. Vertical Markets – CMMC Compliance Assessments: Defenseforce has launched HEADSTART 2.0, an automated solution for CMMC assessments. The software assess IT environments and identifies the actions necessary to meet the desired level of CMMC compliance. Cybersecurity Capability Maturity Model (CMMC) is an effort to certify U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) contractors.
9. Vertical Markets – Maritime Cybersecurity Services: EPSCO-Ra has positioned itself as an MSSP focused on maritime security services…
10. Identity and Access Management (IAM): ITC Secure, an MSSP, has announced a new in-house identity and access management practice together with NAVIGATOR, a cloud-based cyber maturity management digital tool.
11. Cloud Services Data Leak: A Chinese software developer trawled Alibaba’s popular Taobao shopping website for eight months, clandestinely collecting more than 1.1 billion pieces of user information before Alibaba noticed the scraping, a Chinese court verdict said, according to The Wall Street Journal.
12. Rebrand & Ransomware Defenses: Pentera (formerly Pcysys) has unveiled RansomwareReady — a new module of the Pentera platform that emulates the world’s most destructive ransomware strains, the company says.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships, Strategic Alliances and Integrations
2. Partnership & Investment: Merlin Ventures, the strategic investment arm of Merlin Cyber, has invested in Cyolo, developer of a Zero Trust Network Architecture (ZTNA) solution. Together, Merlin and Cyolo will “enable U.S. businesses and federal agencies to better strengthen their security posture and secure digital assets in their own distributed clouds,” the organizations say.
3. Partnership – SASE: AT&T is delivering a new, global managed Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) offering that leverages Palo Alto Networks SD-WAN technology, security capabilities and fiber-based network connectivity, the global service provider says.
4. Partner Program: Outseer, the payment authentication and account monitoring solutions spin-off from RSA Security, has launched Outseer Beyond — a new partner program for complementary providers of payments authentication and fraud prevention technologies.
7. SOCaaS and Google Cloud: Cysiv, security operations center-as-a-service (SOCaaS), is now available via the Google Cloud Marketplace.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- ConnectWise IT Nation Secure 2021 (June 21-23, Orlando, Florida)
- Black Hat USA (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- CCMC Con 2021 (September 29, Virtual Event)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- InfoSec World (October 25-27, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar