Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 18 February 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Ransomware Attacks Natural Gas Pipeline: The Department of Homeland Security warning and details are here.
2. Ransomware Attacks Municipalities: One in six Massachusetts communities hit by ransomware attacks.
3. Rollout – Election Security: Microsoft is set to deploy ElectionGuard voting software in first real-world test. The test involves Fulton, Wisconsin — where voters will elect representatives for the Wisconsin Supreme Court via voting machines that will be running Microsoft’s ElectionGuard software, ZDNet reports.
4. Penetration Testing as a Service: NetSPI has introduced Penetration Testing as a Service (PTaaS) powered by its Resolve platform. PTaaS enables customers to simplify the scoping of new engagements, view testing results in real time, orchestrate quicker remediation, and perform always-on continuous testing, NetSPI claims.
5. Growth – Network Security Management: AlgoSec has was profitable in 2019 and generated a 26% increase in product revenues over 2018, along with a 17% increase in total revenues over 2018.
6. Funding – Data Security: Enveil has raised $10 million in Series A funding led by C5 Capital with contributions from Mastercard, Capital One Ventures, Bloomberg Beta, and 1843 Capital.
7. Upgrades – Multiple: Fortinet has released FortiOS 6.4, the latest version of its flagship operating system powering the Fortinet Security Fabric. The upgrade includes more than 350 new features in such areas as automation, scalability, performance, and AI. Fortinet also unveiled the FortiGate 1800F Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) powered by NP7, the company’s seventh generation network processor. The firewall helps customers to address internal segmentation as well as scale, performance, detection, and enforcement capabilities, Fortinet says.
8. Upgrade – FireWall: Sophos has introduced a new “Xstream” architecture for Sophos XG Firewall. It now features Transport Layer Security (TLS) traffic decryption capabilities. The technology can eliminate significant security risk associated with encrypted network traffic, which is often overlooked by security teams due to performance and complexity concerns, Sophos says.
9. Update – Zero Trust Network Access: Odo Security has announced the availability of privileged access management, other new features and a new delivery model for its agentless and clientless access platform. OdoAccess enables security teams to manage Web, SSH, RDP and database access across cloud and on-premises infrastructure, the company says.
10. Talent – Application Security: WhiteHat Security, an independent subsidiary of NTT Ltd., has named Digital Guardian veteran Chris Leffel as vice president of product management.
11. Expansion – SOCaaS: Cybersafe Solutions, an MSSP that offers MDR and SOCaaS capabilities, has completed the expansion of its sales office in New York City’s Penn Plaza.
12. Dark Web Monitoring: CyberGuard 360 has launched Deep Diver, a dark web monitoring and prospecting engine.
14. How Ginp mobile Trojan Fakes Incoming SMS Messages: Kaspersky offers insights here.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. SD-WAN Managed Services – Part One: ConvergeOne has launched a Secure SD-WAN managed services offering powered by Cisco Viptela. The Secure SD-WAN solution also includes Intelligent Threat Detection and advisory services from Alert Logic.
4. Partner Program – Risk Management: LookingGlass Cyber Solutions has enhanced its Cyber Guardian Network, which provides threat intelligence products to MSSPs.
5, Partner Program – Automated Malware Analysis & Detection: VMRay has launched a Global Channel Partner Program. Channel veteran Zac Kenney is leading the effort.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- SANS 2020 Cybersecurity Training Conference (April 3-10, Orlando, Florida)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2020 (May 13-14, Chicago).
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar