Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 18 February 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Talent – Endpoint Protection Software: Cybereason has hired Fortinet veteran Stephan Tallent as VP of MSSP focused on North America, according to Tallent’s LinkedIn profile. Fortinet helped to pioneer MSSP partner models, and remains deeply committed to that sector. Cybereason, meanwhile, has channel relationships with such firms as Synnex. We’ll be watching to see how Tallent scales Cybereason’s overall MSSP engagements. We’ve reached out to the company for additional comment about Tallent’s hiring. Stay tuned for more details.
2. Funding – MDR & SaaS Security Operations: Red Canary, a provider of SaaS-based security operations and MDR (managed detection and response) solutions, has raised $81 million Series C financing round led by Summit Partners with participation from existing investors Noro-Moseley Partners and Access Venture Partners.
3. Funding – Identity and Access Management (IAM): Strata, a distributed multi-cloud identity orchestration company, has raised $11 million Series A funding. Menlo Ventures led the round, with participation from ForgePoint Capital.
4. Talent – Offensive Security Testing: Bishop Fox has hired TrustArc veteran Joe Green as vice president of engineering. Green now oversees Bishop Fox Continuous Attack Surface Testing (CAST) managed security service. He reports to COO Bill Carroll.
5. FinTech and Cloud-based SIEM: Sumo Logic is expanding its work with FinTech and banking-focused businesses including Coincheck, Currencycloud, Moneytree, MoonPay, Paidy, Snoop and more. These companies use Sumo Logic’s Continuous Intelligence Platform to “diagnose and troubleshoot issues faster and reduce service interruptions,” Sumo Logic asserts.
7. Desktop Privacy: StrikeForce Technologies has launched PrivacyLok, a desktop privacy protection suite designed to “prevent unwanted applications from accessing sensitive data while protecting users from eavesdropping spyware and commonly exploitable computing processes including keylogging, camera access, audio access, screen scraping and more,” the company says.
8. Growth – Risk Mitigation: XM Cyber grew bookings more than 160 percent in 2020, and more than doubled its clientele worldwide. Actual revenue dollar figures were not disclosed.
9. Web Server Zero Day Security: Cyemptive Technologies has launched Cyemptive Web Fortress, a solution that protects web servers against zero-day cyberattacks in real time.
10. Ransomware Attacks ATFS: Automatic Funds Transfer Services (ATFS), a Seattle-based address verification company, suffered a ransomware attack in early February. In response, The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) apparently was victimized as part of the supply chain attack, and has halted data transfers with ATFS, according to a local NBC news affiliate. The ATFS website was offline as of February 18, 2021, MSSP Alert notes.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Fortinet Accelerate 2021 (March 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Huntress hack_it 2021 (March 22-24, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar