Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 19 February 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. RSA Conference News: Track our RSA Conference 2020 news and analysis content here.
2. Cyber Insurance Market Forecast: Details are here.
3. Funding & Data Lake – Endpoint Protection: SentinelOne has unveiled the Singularity Platform. The data lake converges endpoint protection (EPP), endpoint detection and response (EDR), IoT security, and cloud workload protection (CWPP) into a centralized platform. Also, rumor has it SentinelOne has lined up more funding.
4. Data Breach Costs: Home Depot has appealed a $14.5 million attorneys’ fee award related to a 2014 data breach, arguing that a district court improperly calculated the cost, Bloomberg Law reports.
5. Ransomware Attack – Lawsuit: Hackensack Meridian Health, one of the largest health systems in New Jersey, is facing a class-action lawsuit, following a ransomware attack that drove the provider offline for several days in December 2019, Health IT Security reports.
6. Compliance – GDPR and CCPA: Okera has announced version 2.0 of its secure data access platform. The new version uses machine learning to enhance the automatic discovery of sensitive data such as social security numbers and credit card numbers, Okera says. The result: Organizations can protect their consumers’ data and comply with data privacy regulations like GDPR and CCPA, the company asserts.
7. Research – Phishing Attacks: The latest updates are here from Webroot, an OpenText company.
8. Research – Small Business Cybersecurity: One-third of companies with 50 or fewer employees report using free, consumer-grade cybersecurity, and one in five companies use no endpoint security whatsoever, according to UK and US research findings from BullGuard. Additionally, 43% of SMB owners have no cybersecurity defense plan in place at all, the survey finds.
9. Research – IoT Security: Extreme Networks’ findings are here.
10. Research – Insider Threats: Egress, the leading provider of human layer data security solutions, today announced the results of its second global insider data breach survey.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Palo Alto Networks – MSSPs: Trustwave, a Top 200 MSSP, has unveiled a new portfolio of consulting and managed security services for Palo Alto Networks Prisma Cloud — a cloud native security platform (CNSP) designed to govern access, protect data and secure applications.
2. Ransomware Mitigation: A new Cloudian-Veeam solution supports S3 Object Lock, enabling customers to make backup data copies immutable and, therefore, invulnerable to hacker encryption or deletion, the companies assert.
3. SOAR and SIEM – Mimecast and IBM: Mimecast, an email and data security company, has a new integration with IBM Security Resilient. The integration connects email security data into the IBM Resilient Security Orchestration Automation and Response (SOAR) capabilities. In conjunction with Mimecast’s existing IBM Security QRadar SIEM integration, this new connection is designed to make security alerts instantly actionable, through intelligence and incident context, and enabling adaptive response to advanced threats, the companies say.
4. Shared Threat Intelligence – Telcos: Telco Security Alliance members such as AT&T, Singtel and Telefónica are sharing the latest threat intelligence and indicators of compromise (IoCs). The alliance members believe this is a “first-of-its-kind collaboration” among telecommunication providers’ security organizations.
5. Password Security and SIEM: Keeper Security is now a LogRhythm Technology Alliance Partner. The partnership integrates Keeper’s password event data into LogRhythm’s security information and event management (SIEM) platform. Partners gain a holistic view of a threat environment, allowing businesses to monitor threats more closely and take immediate action to mitigate them, the companies assert.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- SANS 2020 Cybersecurity Training Conference (April 3-10, Orlando, Florida)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2020 (May 13-14, Chicago).
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar