Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 19 February 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. MSSP Security Services Sales Tax?: A New York judge recently ruled that MSSP security services are subject to certain New York sales taxes, when such services are provided with respect to devices located in New York. The ruling could be tricking for MSSPs, considering so many users are now mobile and not physically limited to a specific state or region…
2. Update – SolarWinds Breach Investigation: The Senate Intelligence Committee on February 23 will hold a hearing about the SolarWinds breach. CEO Sudhakar Ramakrishna is expected to testify. Other witnesses will include Microsoft President Brad Smith, FireEye CEO Kevin Mandia and CrowdStrike President and CEO George Kurtz, according to The Hill. Related: See the entire SolarWinds breach investigation timeline from MSSP Alert’s sister site, ChannelE2E.
3. Integration – Threat Detection and Response: Anomali Match now integrates with Microsoft Azure Sentinel. Leveraging the integration, partners and customers gain an “automated solution that significantly enhances and speeds joint customers’ threat detection, alerting, and response capabilities,” Anomali Match asserts.
4. Integration – File Security: Votiro and Menlo Security are integrating their software to “provide a total security solution for file downloads.” Through the partnership, “employees are empowered to safely download content from the web without compromising on security, productivity, or file fidelity—whether on-site or practicing remote work,” the companies assert.
6. Partner Program – Identity and Access Management (IAM): BIO-key International, has launched an expanded Channel Alliance Partner (CAP) program for MSPs, MSSPs, system integrators and VARs.
7. Research – Application Security Vulnerabilities: At least 50 percent of applications in industries such as manufacturing, public services, healthcare, retail, education and utilities, are vulnerable throughout the year due to one or more serious exploitable vulnerabilities, WhiteHat Security research finds.
8. European Headquarters: ThreatLocker, which develops security tools for MSPs, will open a European headquarters in Dublin, Ireland to deliver ThreatLocker’s Zero-trust, data storage and proprietary Ringfencing solutions to businesses through MSPs across the EMEA region, the company says.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Fortinet Accelerate 2021 (March 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Huntress hack_it 2021 (March 22-24, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar