Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 19 January 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Funding – SOAR: Swimlane, which develops security orchestration, automation and response (SOAR) software, has raised $40 million in funding led by EIP (Energy Impact Partners). The funding “will accelerate partnerships and alliances, expand research and development, and enable further global expansion,” Swimlane says. On a related note, Swimlane recently hired Veriflow veteran James Brear as CEO.
2. Coronavirus Relief Fund – Proposed Federal Spending: President-elect Joe Biden has unveiled a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package that includes $9 billion for a fund used to improve the federal government’s IT and cybersecurity, FCW.com reports. Also, the proposal includes a $15 billion grant program to over 1 million of the hardest hit small businesses, and a $35 billion investment toward local financing programs to offer low-interest loans to entrepreneurs, Restaurant Dive reports.
3. Help Wanted – Security: Allied Universal, a security and facility services company in North America, is seeking to hire 100+ security professionals in Jacksonville, Florida. Find more details here.
4. SOC as a Service for Small Businesses: Port53 Technologies has launched a Security Operations Center (SOC) as a Service capability that spans 24/7 monitoring, detection, and response. Port53 leverages Cisco SecureX to support SMB and SME customers.
5. Talent – Advisory Council: CompTIA has formed a Cybersecurity Advisory Council spanning 16 experts from a multitude of disciplines and organizations, the nonprofit IT association says.
6. Research – Enterprise Networking and Security: The latest annual findings from CATO Networks are here.
7. Data Leak – Nissan North America: Nissan North America recently suffered a data leak that apparently involved misconfigured servers, IndustryWeek reports.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. MSP Security Dashboard: BitDam is adding an MSP console to its Advanced Threat Protection software. This console provides MSPs with an overview of all tenants/clients/organizations they oversee, BitDam says.
2. Penetration Testing – Small Businesses: X Security Group has introduced white label penetration testing services to MSPs and MSSPs that support small and midsize businesses (SMBs).
3. Partnership – Fortinet: Granite Telecommunications is now a Fortinet Expert partner. The designation is “reserved for proven Fortinet solution providers that demonstrate consistently high revenue and deliver the full spectrum of Fortinet solutions,” the two companies say.
6. Partnership – Government Security: Carahsoft Technology Corp. has joined Broadcom’s global cyber security aggregator program (CSAP). The program leverages Carahsoft’s unique purpose-built tools and resources to better serve the U.S. Government and public sector markets and the company’s reseller partners coupled with Broadcom’s leading cyber security solutions, the two companies say. Broadcom announced the CSAP program in December 2020.
7. Identity and Access Management (IAM) and ServiceNow: Advance Solutions has launched an Identity and Access Management (IDAM) add-on for ServiceNow. The IDAM option includes built-in integrations to Microsoft Office 365, Zoom, Salesforce.com and Oracle Cloud.
8. Distribution – Europe and Endpoint Security: Ingram Micro UK has agreed to distribute AppGuard’s zero trust endpoint protection software to European partners.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar