Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 19 October 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Cisco SecureX Further Explained: Cisco Systems’ SecureX platform offers these five benefits to partners, the networking giant asserts.
2. Funding – Cyber Threat Detection: Security On-Demand (SOD), an MSSP that offers cyber threat detection and log analytics services, has earned grant funding from the National Center for Research and Development. The EU-sourced funding, worth US$2.16 million, will facilitate the development of SOD’s proprietary Big Data analytics technology, the company says.
3. Security Information and Event Management (SIEM): SECNAP Network Security has launched a fully managed SIEM module for its CloudJacketX Platform. The platform is designed for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) and mid-market companies.
4. U.S. Election Security: Delaware Gov. John Carney has signed an executive order the state’s Cyberspace Operations Squadron to assist in 2020 election security efforts.
5. Hackers Infect McAfee Installs: Hackers have tricked unsuspecting users into installing McAfee anti-virus software from GitHub. In addition to the McAfee software, the install included malware, Google reports.
6. Data Breach – Restaurant Chain: Dickey’s Barbecue Restaurant has suffered a large data breach involving 3 million payment cards, Krebs on Security reports.
7. Data Breach Fine: British Airways has been fined £20m ($26m) by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for a data breach which affected more than 400,000 customers, BBC reports.
8. Warning – Microsoft Sharepoint Vulnerability: The United Kingdom (UK) National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) has released an Alert to address a vulnerability—CVE-2020-16952—affecting Microsoft SharePoint server security.
9. Massive Cyberattack: The GreatHorn Threat Intelligence Team has discovered a massive cyberattack propagating via open redirector domains and subsidiary domains belonging to multiple global brands, spreading through tens of thousands of mailboxes and targeting business users across industries, geographies, and companies, the company says.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conferences
- Houston Cyber Summit 2020 (October 20-22, Virtual Conference)
- Grayhat Virtual Cyber Conference (October 29-31, Virtual Conference)
- Exabeam Spotlight20 (November 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- Ignite20: Palo Alto Networks Conference (November 17-18, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, San Francisco)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar