Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 20 October 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Most Influential Women in Cybersecurity: The list is here.
2. M&A – WordPress Security: Data443 Risk Mitigation, a data security and privacy software company, has acquired the intellectual property rights and assets of IntellyWP (IWP), an Italy-based developer of WordPress plug-ins.
3. Funding – Risk and Compliance Management Software: Unit21, a platform of no-code tools for risk and compliance teams, has raised $13 million in funding led by A.Capital Ventures. Additional participation includes investors such as Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI venture fund), Core VC, South Park Commons, Diane Greene (founder of VMWare), William Hockey (founder of Plaid), Chris Britt and Ryan King (founders of Chime), Sumit Agarwal (founder of Shape Security), and Michael Vaughan (former COO of Venmo). Unit21 will use the new capital to grow its product and distribution-focused management team, increase sales and marketing efforts, and launch in new industries, the company says.
4. SOC as a Service: SureView Systems has launched SureView Operations (Ops), a subscription-based version of its command center management system. The Ops platform allows organizations to manage security events.
5. SOC as a Service & Google Cloud: Cysiv Inc. has become part of the Google Cloud Technology Partner Co-sell Program. Google Cloud’s global sales force will now collaborate with Cysiv to help customers simplify the security of their cloud workloads, the companies say.
6. Research – Global Incident Response Threat Report: VMware’s findings are here.
8. Education Software Breach: Verificient Technologies has shut down its Proctortrack software platform after detecting a security breach in the system, Insurance Business Mag reports. Proctortrack software helps monitor university students taking exams, regardless of the students’ location.
9. Android Spyware: Kaspersky has identified a previously unknown piece of Android spyware. Researchers found the malicious module inserted in a travel application for Indian users. A closer look revealed that it was related to GravityRAT, a spying Remote Access Trojan (RAT) known for carrying out activities in India, Kaspersky says. Further investigation confirmed that the group behind the malware had invested effort into making it into a multiplatform tool. In addition to targeting Windows operating systems, it can now be used on Android and MacOS, the software company says. The campaign is still active.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conferences
- Houston Cyber Summit 2020 (October 20-22, Virtual Conference)
- Grayhat Virtual Cyber Conference (October 29-31, Virtual Conference)
- Exabeam Spotlight20 (November 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- Ignite20: Palo Alto Networks Conference (November 17-18, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, San Francisco)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar