Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 22 March 2022
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Editorial Director Joe.Panettieri@CyberRiskAlliance.com. Thank you in advance for news tips.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Microsoft Azure Hacked? Microsoft is investigating claims that Lapsus$ hacked Azure DevOps source code repositories, Bleeping Computer reported.
2. AvosLocker Ransomware Indicators of Compromise: Details are here from the FBI.
3. Analysis – Arid Gopher Malware: Deep Instinct offers details about the Arid Gopher malware variant here.
4. Managed Detection and Response (MDR): eSentire has expanded its international go-to-market operations across Asia-Pacific (APAC). Australia has been selected as the MDR security company’s initial point of entry for the region.
5. Funding – Application Security Testing: ForAllSecure has raised $21 million in Series B funding co-led by Koch Disruptive Technologies (KDT) and existing investor New Enterprise Associates (NEA). We have yet to see a formal partner program announcement from ForAllSecure.
6. Breakup – McAfee Enterprise Business: Symphony Technology Group, a private equity firm, has officially split the former McAfee Enterprise business into two companies. The two businesses are Trellix for XDR (eXtended Detection and Response) and Skyhigh Security for SSE (Security Service Edge) and data-aware security.
7. Breakup – F-Secure Business: F-Secure will spin out a B2B business unit as a standalone company. The new company will be known as WithSecure, SC Media reported.
8. Partner Program – Data Security: Netwrix has launched a partner program that unifies such acquisitions as Stealthbits, NNT, PolicyPak and Anixis.
9. Partnership – BlackBerry and Samsung: The two companies are partnering to give customers “a better way to respond to critical events,” BlackBerry and Samsung indicated.
10. Talent – CISO: Rinki Sethi joined Bill.com as our VP and chief information security officer.
11. Email Security – Executive Leadership: Proofpoint, owned by private equity firm Thoma Bravo, has promoted Ashan Willy to CEO. Willy succeeds former CEO Gary Steele, who will become Splunk’s CEO in April 2022.
12. Google Security Analytics: Google Cloud recently introduced Community Security Analytics (CSA), a set of open-sourced queries and rules for self-service security analytics, SC Media reported. The offerings are geared toward helping security teams detect common cloud-based threats, the report noted.
13. Research – Ransomware Response Plans: Only 47 percent of state, local and education organizations have ransomware response plans, according to research from the Center for Digital Government (CDG) and Palo Alto Networks.
14. Research – Threat Detection Report: Red Canary’s 2022 Threat Detection Report findings are here.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Apptega Amplify Partner Summit 2022 MSSP Security Conference (April 27-28, Atlanta, Georgia)
- Fortinet Accelerate 2022 (May 10-13, Virtual)
- ItaliaSec 2022 (May 24-25, Milan, Italy)
- RSA Conference 2022 (June 6-9, San Francisco)
- ConnectWise IT Nation Secure 2022 (June 6-8, Orlando, Florida)
- Gartner Security and Risk Management Summit 2022 (June 7-9, Maryland)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar