Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 23 February 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. M&A – Software Container Security: Red Hat, part of IBM, has completed the previously announced acquisition of StackRox.
2. Talent – Cloud Security Platform: Lacework has hired Pure Storage veteran David “Hat” Hatfield as CEO. He succeeds Dan Hubbard, who shifts to chief product officer. Additional hires include Ulfar Erlingsson as chief architect; and Mike Staiger as CFO. Among the additional twists: Lacework founder and CTO, Vikram Kapoor is taking on an additional role as the founder of a wholly owned Lacework entity, to be “revealed at a later date.”
3. ServiceNow Patch: This sounds important…
4. Ransomware Attack Recovery: A South Carolina county — namely, Georgetown County — continues to rebuild its computer network after what it called a sophisticated hacking attempt, Insurance Journal reports.
5. Hyundai Motor America Cyberattack: Hackers leaked data related to Hyundai Motor America’s logistics operations on Monday and claimed responsibility for an apparent ransomware attack targeting the automaker and subsidiary Kia Motors America, Freightwaves reports.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships and Strategic Alliances
1. Partnership – Google Chronicle and Financial Services Security: BBVA and Google Cloud have inked a partnership to transform the bank’s security strategy by optimizing and improving its security infrastructure. As part of this global agreement, BBVA will collaborate with Google Cloud in the development of new artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) models to predict and prevent cyberattacks against its banking infrastructure, providing a more secure experience for the bank and its customers, the companies say. Take a closer look, and BBVA will leverage the Chronicle, the Google Cloud security analytics platform.
3. Partnership – Fortinet Europe: The Exclusive Networks X-OD platform is expanding into Germany, Spain, Belgium, Finland, Austria and Ireland. At the same time, Exclusive Networks is adding Fortinet to the X-OD portfolio offering.
4. Partnership – 5G Network Security: Sophos plans to provide Sophos Intercept X endpoint protection for 5G PCs powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon compute platforms, the companies say. The combination of Sophos Intercept X with Snapdragon compute platforms will “provide users next-generation security through an always on, always connected PC environment,” Sophos asserts.
6. Integrations – Email Security: Mimecast now offers 60 out-of-the box and custom integrations with security technology partners such as CrowdStrike, IBM Security, Netskope, Palo Alto Networks, Rapid7, ServiceNow and Splunk, the company says.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Fortinet Accelerate 2021 (March 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Huntress hack_it 2021 (March 22-24, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar