Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 26 July 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Kaseya – REvil Ransomware Attack Recovery Update: Kaseya customers have to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) in order to receive a REvil Ransomware decryption key from the MSP software company, CNN reports. Kaseya obtained the key on July 21 following a July 2 REvil Ransomware attack against the Kaseya VSA software platform. The attack spread downstream to roughly 50 MSPs and 1,500 end-customers. See ongoing Kaseya REvil Ransomware attack and recovery updates here.
2. MSSP – U.S. Government Cybersecurity: Trustwave Government Solutions, a wholly owned subsidiary of Trustwave Holdings, has joined the Cyber Information Sharing and Collaboration Program (CISCP) from the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA). The CISCP’s overall mission is to “build cybersecurity resiliency and to harden the defenses of the U.S. and its strategic partners,” the organization says. Trustwave is a Top 250 MSSP owned by NTT, though rumors about a Trustwave company sale have swirled in recent months.
3. Funding – eXtended Detection and Response: XDR Sec, based on Beijing, has raised US$15.5 million from Sequoia Capital China and other investors.
4. Funding & Launch – Industrial Network Security: Former Dragos and Crowdstrike executives have launched cybersecurity startup SynSaber to offer industrial asset and network monitoring. SynSaber has raised $2.5 million in seed funding.
5. Private Equity and Cybersecurity: Shareholders have voted to approve Proofpoint’s acquisition by private equity firm Thoma Bravo. The buyout, announced in April 2021, is expected to close in Q3 of 2021. Proofpoint will become privately held at that point.
6. Embedded Cybersecurity: BlackBerry has released BlackBerry Jarvis 2.0, a SaaS edition of the company’s flagship software composition analysis tool. Designed to harden security in the medical, automotive and aerospace industries, Jarvis 2.0 “empowers OEMs to inspect the provenance of their code and every single software asset that comes into their overall supply chains to ensure their products are both secure and updated with the most recent security patches,” BlackBerry says.
7. Check Point Quarterly Financial Results: Check Point Software Technologies announced Q2 2021 results. Key metrics include:
- Revenue of $526 million, up 4 percent year over year.
- GAAP net income of $186 million, down from $196 million year over year.
Those figures and others generally beat Wall Street’s expectations, according to SeekingAlpha. Strong execution “drove double-digit growth across CloudGuard and Harmony, and triple-digit growth in Infinity platform sales,” Check Point CEO Gil Shwed said in a prepared statement.
8. Talent – Salesforce Application Security: DigitSec, which develops a security testing platform for Salesforce DevOps, has hired Phil Lepanto as VP of customer success.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships, Strategic Alliances and Integrations
2. Integration – Cloud Security and Threat Detection: Blue Hexagon‘s threat detection now integrates with AWS Network Firewall. The integration provides “protection against known threats, variants of known threats, as well as unknown zero-day threats for which no signatures exist, Blue Hexagon says.
C. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Black Hat USA (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- AWS re:Inforce 2021 (August 24-25, Houston, Texas)
- CMMC Con 2021 (September 29, Virtual Event)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- InfoSec World 2021 (October 25-27, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar