Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 27 January 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. ConnectWise Security Alert Site: ConnectWise has launched a security alert website to help customers and partners track security related statements, vulnerabilities, patches, compliance and privacy updates from the software company.
2. M&A – Risk Management: CFC, a specialist insurance provider a has acquired London-based ThreatInformer. The seller’s data enrichment technology helps insurance companies better understand their customers’ exposures.
3. M&A – Fraud Prevention: F5 Networks has completed the acquisition of Shape Security, a provider of online fraud and abuse prevention technologies. The deal was announced in December 2019.
4. Incident Response – Oregon Cyberattack: Tillamook County in Oregon has suffered a cyberattack, and hired digital forensics firm Arete Advisors for incident response services, The News Guard reports.
5. School Cyber Scam: Federal agents have apprehended suspects whom officials say scammed $206,000 from the Sumter County School Board in Florida, Orlando Weekly reports.
6. Atlanta Cybersecurity Budget: Fulton County, Georgia, is prepared to spend $17 million to beef up IT infrastructure and cybersecurity, a major issue for metro Atlanta governments, GovTech reports.
7. Detroit Security Breach: After a small data breach last week, Detroit is offering free credit monitoring to a handful of city workers and fewer than 300 utility customers, Government Technology reports. The city’s CIO said there’s no evidence attackers accessed personal data, the report adds.
8. NSA Cloud Security Guidance: The U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) has released an information sheet with guidance on mitigating cloud vulnerabilities. NSA identifies cloud security components and discusses threat actors, cloud vulnerabilities, and potential mitigation measures, the statement says.
B. MSSP Partnerships and Strategic Alliances
1. Cybersecurity Startup Accelerator: Rogers Cybersecure Catalyst, in partnership with the DMZ, has launched the Catalyst Cyber Accelerator, Canada’s first commercial accelerator specifically designed for scale-up companies in cybersecurity and related fields, the organizations say.
2. All Partner Programs: Search the comprehensive ChannelE2E Partner Program Database here. Also, submit your company information here and your partner program can be listed in the database.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- SANS 2020 Cybersecurity Training Conference (April 3-10, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar