Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 27 January 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Private Equity – Network Penetration Testing Tools: Foresight Group has invested in Titania Group, a cybersecurity automation software business focused on penetration testing. Titania’s software automates the evaluation of network devices and identifies misconfigurations and vulnerabilities with the accuracy of intrusion testers, the startup asserts.
2. Security Automation: Syxsense has released Syxsense Cortex, which is available as part of a Syxsense Secure subscription. The subscription offers a no-code interface for IT and security teams to perform complex, automated jobs with a drag-and-drop interface, the company says.
3. Embedded IoT Security: Owl Cyber Defense Solutions has unveiled Owl XDE, a line of embedded security modules designed to secure devices and the IoT, from the inside.
4. North Korea Targets Cyber Researchers: Google says it believes hackers backed by the North Korean government have been posing as computer security bloggers and using fake accounts on social media while attempting to steal information from researchers in the field, according to The Associated Press.
5. Talent – Threat Detection & Response: Blumira has hired Jim Simpson as vice president of product. Blumira is striving to bring enterprise-level security to the mid-market, while also disrupting the traditional SIEM industry. Backed by $2.6 million in early stage funding, Blumira now has about 25 employees.
7. Research – Nefilim Ransomware Attack: Sophos shared research findings in a report titled Nefilim Ransomware Attack Uses ‘Ghost’ Credentials. The report describes how a failure to keep close tabs on “ghost” account credentials facilitated two recent cyberattacks, one of which involved Nefilim ransomware.
8. Research – Sunburst Industrial Victims: Kaspersky has analyzed how many industrial organizations fell victim to the SolarWinds Sunburst attack. The analysis is outlined here.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Distribution – MSP Password and Identity Management: Bluechip Infotech has agreed to distribute MYKI’s password, identity management and two factor authentication (2FA) solution to MSPs in Australia.
4. Partnership – Cyber Training: SIEM (security information and event management) software provider Securonix has partnered with non-profit education provider NextGen Cyber Talent to “pilot a series of virtual training courses that will bring new and diverse talent to the cybersecurity field,” the two organizations say. Details are here.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar