The Black Hat USA 2020 cybersecurity conference is virtual this year. Track this live blog from MSSP Alert for the latest news, analysis and chatter throughout the virtual event.
Among the key themes MSSP Alert is tracking from Black Hat USA 2020:
- Potential MDR (managed detection and response) developments that MSSPs can manage on behalf of customers.
- Security Operations Center as a Service (SOCaaS) options to help MSSPs automation their SOCs while minimizing headcount requirements.
- Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM) tools that allow MSSPs to spot misconfigurations and other gaps in customer cloud workloads across Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and more.
- Recently funded cybersecurity startups that have channel- and MSP-friendly business models.
- Cloud-based SOAR (security orchestration and response) and SIEM (security information and event management) milestones.
- And of course: Security discussions and strategies related to the upcoming U.S. elections.
Black Hat USA 2020: MSSP Alert's Content Schedule
We expect our Black Hat USA 2020 virtual conference news analysis to span these five days:
- Day 1 – Monday, August 3 (see below)
- Day 2 – Tuesday, August 4 (under way below)
- Day 3 – Wednesday, August 5 (stay tuned) -- The keynote topic is Stress-Testing Democracy: Election Integrity During a Global Pandemic, presented by Matt Blaze
- Day 4 – Thursday, August 6 (stay tuned) -- The keynote is Hacking Public Opinion, presented by Renee DiResta. Also, we'll check out this FireEye Mandiant session on defending Microsoft Office 365.
- Day 5 – Friday, August 7 (stay tuned; we’ll add virtual meeting recaps and more)
Black Hat USA 2020: Day 2 News and Analysis
5. Security Information and Event Management (SIEM): Customers can now license Exabeam's cloud SIEM technology by use case, beginning with licensable use cases for expedited insider threat and compromised credential detection. Also, the company unveiled Exabeam Content Library, -- a security content repository to help organizations deploy use cases more efficiently.
4. Research - Hackers Seek Profits: Hackers are increasingly focused on monetary gain and a continued reliance on COVID-19-related campaigns, especially within certain vertical industries, according to the Threat Intelligence Report: Black Hat U.S.A. Edition 2020 from Mimecast.
3. Hacking Industrial Robots: Industrial robots from ABB along with the Robot Operating System Industrial (Ros-I) software contain vulnerabilities that could allow hackers to take remote control of industrial systems, a Rogue Automation report from Trend Micro asserts. Trend Micro is expected to explain the report at the conference. The cybersecurity software company made similar statements about rogue robots and industrial robot security in 2017.
Black Hat USA 2020: Day 1 News and Analysis
2. How to Reverse Engineer Malware: BlackBerry introduced a free open source tool for cybersecurity professionals, called PE Tree. The tool "significantly reduces the time and effort required to reverse engineer malware," BlackBerry indicated while offering more details here.
1. Got Black Hat USA 2020 News to Share?: Send us details and we'll potentially cover it on MSSP Alert.