Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global MSSP (managed security services provider) ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Friday, May 26, 2017:
9. Talent: How are cybersecurity jobs evolving to meet increasing demand? Here are some clues.
8. Merger: ControlScan and Echosat are merging. The businesses have extensive managed security expertise.
7. Funding: Tanium has raised $100 million to bolster the company's endpoint communications platform for security and IT operations. The company allegedly is a unicorn -- meaning that its valuation is at least $1 billion.
6. Hacker Spotting: Reformed Hacker Kevin Mitnick is set to keynote Continuum Navigate 2017 in October. No doubt, security will be the conference's hot topic. Continuum CEO Michael George has hinted previously that his company may launch a SOC (security operations center) for MSPs. PS: Rewind to the 1990s and I actually spent some time speaking with an FBI informant who was tracking Mitnick at the time...
5. Mobile Security: Cheetah Mobile Inc. has launched Security Master, the "next generation of CM Security" -- a privacy protection and antivirus app with almost 500 million downloads and a 4.7 rating (out of 5) on Google Play. One of the new features is particularly tailored for the U.S. market in an attempt to protect user privacy following the recent rollback of ISP rules, Cheetah Mobile said.
4. IoT Security: Cisco has launched IoT Threat Defense, which segments devices on the network to protect the overall infrastructure, the company says. We'll share more details on MSSP Alert later today.
3. GDPR Compliance: Microsoft is the latest global-scale cloud provider working to comply GDPR -- the European Union's (EU) General Data Protection Regulation, eWeek notes. Earlier this week, IBM's security business announced plans to help customers comply with GDPR, which goes into effect on May 25, 2018.
2. Firewalls in the Cloud: Barracuda Networks has introduced free trials of firewalls that run in Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure. Until now, the trials were reserved for existing Barracuda customers that had on-premises firewalls. But now the trials are even open to non-customers. We'll share more thoughts soon.
1. How Many MSPs Will Become MSSPs?: Some early thoughts...