Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Wednesday, November 7, 2018.
12. Intel Processor Vulnerability: A newly discovered Intel side-channel vulnerability called PortSmash promises to lay encryption keys open to discovery by threat actors, Dark Reading reports....
11. Carbon Black Expansion: Endpoint protection specialist Carbon Black has expanded its global footprint to include a stronger presence in Japan...
10. McAfee Partners of the Year: McAfee has announced roughly two-dozen Partner of the Year honorees based on three categories: Strategic relationships, profitable partnerships and driving better customer outcomes.
9. HSBC Data Breach: HSBC has suffered a data breach that impacted some U.S. customers, the massive bank has disclosed.
8. IBM QRadar Managed Services: Vectra Corp. has made IBM’s QRadar Security Intelligence system affordable for small to medium enterprises by delivering it as a managed service, the companies claim.
7. Partnership - DNS Security: Continuum's Security Profile & Protect service has gained deeper integrations with Webroot's SecureAnywhere DNS Protection capabilities. MSPs gain granular internet filtering capabilities that protect against malicious websites, provide real-time user access reports and give MSPs the power to set tamperproof web access policies. Continuum and Webroot have a longstanding security relationship.
6. Risk Assessments: The CMMI Institute today has updated its Cybermaturity Platform -- an enterprise cybersecurity capability and risk assessment solution. The platform aligns with the U.S. Commerce Department’s National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Cybersecurity Framework version 1.1, released spring 2018.
5. Cyber Insurance: Dashlane and Chubb are expanding their cyber insurance relationship. Building on a North American partnership, Chubb cyber business policyholders in Europe will now receive a complimentary Dashlane Premium license as part of their policy benefits, with other regions available soon, the companies say.
4. Cyber Partners: Power management company Eaton continues to expand its cybersecurity program and collaboration with global safety science organization UL establishing measurable cybersecurity criteria for network-connected power management products and systems, Eaton says.
3. Sophos Under Pressure: Sophos shares fell about 39 percent and were on track for their worst day ever, after the cyber security company cut its billings forecast for the second half of fiscal 2019 and posted lower-than-expected billings numbers in the first half, according to Reuters. Still, Sophos has one of the largest and most loyal MSP partner ecosystems in the security sector. The company's all-in-one dashboard allows MSPs of all sizes to manage a range of security services.
2. AlienVault and AT&T Partner Program: AT&T unveiled several partner program enhancements this week during a partner conference in Texas. Among the key moves: AlienVault Unified Security Management is now available to Alliance Channel and Partner Exchange program members in collaboration with AlienVault. AT&T acquired that company earlier this year. Partners can learn more at the AT&T Alliance Channel and AT&T Partner Exchange pages.
1. Coming Thursday - MSP Cybersecurity Framework: Watch for ConnectWise and guest speakers to tackle cybersecurity frameworks for MSPs and technology solutions providers this week during ConnectWise IT Nation Connect 2018 in Orlando, Florida. Coverage of the conference has started on ChannelE2E, and additional security-centric coverage will surface here on MSSP Alert.