Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Monday, July 8, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Fired for Cyber Breach?: A public school IT professional in Missouri may lose her job following an alleged cybersecurity breach, though the employee is pushing back against such claims.
2. Privacy Rights vs. Hacker Hunting: European privacy laws may be hampering those catching terrorists, Bloomberg reports.
3. Cyber Insurance Policy Language: Lloyd’s of London wants all insurance and reinsurance policies to clearly state whether coverage will be provided for losses caused by a cyberattack, saying this was in the best interest of both brokers and customers, Reuters reports.
4. Cyber Insurance and Ransomware: How's this for ironic. If an organization discloses that it has cyber insurance, the move could invite ransomware attacks from hackers expecting big payouts. That's the thesis in this article about recent ransomware attacks hitting U.S. cities and municipalities.
5. Data Breach Fine - British Airways: The U.K. plans to fine British Airways 183.4 million pounds ($230 million) over computer attacks that exposed customer data, marking the first major British application of far-reaching European Union rules requiring companies to tighten anti-hacking measures, Bloomberg reports.
6. Ransomware Attack - Florida Update: The City of Riviera Beach, Florida, was in the process of upgrading its cyber security and backup system at the time a hacker launched a ransomware attack, according to a local CBS News affiliate.
7. Malware Attack - Indiana: Following a malware attack, Laporte, Indiana, county employees will not have access to any government email or website for at least a couple days, an ABC News affiliate reports.
8. Data Breach - Maryland: Hackers illegally accessed the names and Social Security numbers of as many as 78,000 people whose information is housed in two older Maryland state databases, The Washington Post reports.
9. United States Cybersecurity: Seven states are partnering to focus on collaborative cybersecurity strategies, according to the National Governors Association.
10. Canada's Baseline Cybersecurity Controls: The Canadian government's Canadian Centre for Cyber Security (CCCS) has released Baseline cybersecurity controls for small and medium organizations in an effort to help small and medium-sized businesses improve their cybersecurity practices and their overall resiliency to cybersecurity threats, Mondaq reports.
11. Russian Bank Hackers: A Russian-speaking hacker group has successfully stolen $3 million from the Dutch Bangla Bank, this report claims.
12. Mobile Payment Security Concerns: Seven-Eleven Japan, the big convenience store chain, has been under fire for failing to take sufficient security measures in launching its 7pay smartphone payment service, this article claims.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Interpol: Kaspersky and INTERPOL have signed a new five-year agreement to reinforce their collaboration in the fight against cybercrime around the world. This is the second agreement between the two parties following the first signed in 2014, the duo says.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- MSSP Accelerator: Sales and Marketing Summit (July 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Cyber:Secured Forum 2019 (July 29-31, Austin, Texas)
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.