Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the update for Friday, August 10, 2018.
7. Election Security: Def Con, one of the world’s largest hacker conventions, will serve as a laboratory for breaking into voting machines this week, extending its efforts to identify potential security flaws in technology that may be used in the November U.S. elections, Reuters notes.
6. Alleged Botnet Mastermind: An Oklahoma man named Travis Cole Malone Jr. has been charged in federal court with four counts related to his alleged creation of malicious software for use in launching DDoS attacks against high-profile companies, SF Gate reports.
5. PGA Ransomware Attack: A ransomware attack has encrypted PGA of America’s servers, locking officials out of crucial files related to this week’s PGA Championship at Bellerive Country Club and the upcoming Ryder Cup in France, Golf Week reports.
4. Comcast Data Leak: Comcast Xfinity inadvertently exposed the partial home addresses and Social Security numbers of more than 26.5 million customers, according to security researcher Ryan Stevenson, who discovered the security flaws, BuzzFeed reports.
3. GoDaddy Data Exposure: GoDaddy apparently exposed boatloads of business data through a misconfigured Amazon S3 bucket. We'll share more details soon.
2. Black Hat USA 2018 Conference News: It's all right here.
1. Top 100 MSSPs Survey Deadline: Our Top 100 MSSPs 2018 survey closes today (Friday, August 10). Participate now and your company could be ranked among the Top 100 Managed Security Services Providers when we unveil results during our September 2018 webcast. PS: The survey definitely closes today. We have no plans to extend the deadline. Thanks to those who have participated.