Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Monday, March 12, 2018:
8. Cryptocurrency Payback: Japanese cryptocurrency exchange Coincheck Inc, reeling from government reprimands over lax standards after $530 million dollar theft of digital money, said it would from Monday start repaying customers affected by the heist, Reuters reports.
7. Cryptocurrency Hacker Bounty: Binance, founded by Zhao Changpeng, is offering the equivalent of $250,000 (paid in cryptocurrency) for information that leads to the arrest of hackers who targeted the venue last week, it said in a statement on Sunday. The exchange has set aside $10 million for future bounties and is encouraging other platforms to do the same, Bloomberg notes.
5. AppleBees Data Breach: Applebees has discovered malware on point of sale systems at nearly 170 locations...
4. DDoS Attacks - NRA: Three different National Rifle Association (NRA) websites experienced Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks in the past week or so, according to a Netlab report.
3. Router Attacks: Kaspersky Lab researchers have uncovered a sophisticated threat used for cyber-espionage in the Middle East and Africa from at least 2012 until February 2018. The malware, which researchers have called ‘Slingshot,’ attacks and infects victims through compromised routers and can run in kernel mode, giving it complete control over victims’ devices, the report says.
1. Security Operations Center (SOC) Research: SOCs are quickly shifting to co-managed operations, according to new Micro Focus research. This approach has allowed cyber defense programs to overcome the greatest challenge: a global shortage of cyber security talent. By setting up an operational relationship with a partner that includes regular interactions, SOC leaders can narrowly focus on the assets they want to protect and work with the partner operationally to perform the technology integration to make it happen, the report says. We'll share more details soon.