Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Wednesday, July 17, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Cloud Security Research Findings: Check Point's 2019 Cloud Security Report findings are here.
2. Talent: ControlScan, a provider of managed security and compliance solutions has hired Sam Pfanstiel as Director of Security Consulting Services. He previously was principal security consultant at Coalfire.
3. Talent: Abacode, an MSSP with compliance expertise, has named Michael Brooks to lead the company's Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) Practice. Brooks is a former United States Air Force commanding officer with CIO and CISO credentials. He has also held cyber and compliance related posts at Amgen and PwC.
4. Data Breach - Sprint: US mobile network operator Sprint said hackers broke into an unknown number of customer accounts via the Samsung.com "add a line" website, ZDNet reports.
5. Data Breach, Fine - Bulgarian Tax Agency: A 20-year-old Bulgarian cybersecurity worker has been arrested on suspicion of involvement in a hacking attack that stole millions of taxpayers’ personal and financial data, Reuters reports. Bulgaria’s NRA tax agency is facing a fine of up to 20 million euros ($22.43 million) over the data breach, the report says.
6. Data Breach - Crypto Wallet: The Dash-focused crypto wallet, MyDashWallet, reportedly succumbed to a data breach two months ago—exposing users’ private keys–but has only just been reported. This means the hacker is able to steal any funds from the wallets of those affected, Decrypt reports.
7. Data Leak - Lenovo-EMC: A vulnerability in an Lenovo-EMC Iomega external HDD API resulted in a huge data leak of more than three million files, according to research partners Vertical Structure and WhiteHat Security, SC Magazine reports.
8. Tax Professionals - Security Checklist: Leaders from the IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today called on tax professionals nationwide to take time this summer to review their current security practices, enhance safeguards where necessary and take these steps to protect their businesses from global cybercriminal syndicates prowling the Internet.
9. Microsoft Employee Charged: A former Microsoft worker has been charged in what investigators describe as a scheme to steal $10 million in digital currency, Associated Press reports.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Deep Security: Trend Micro's Deep Security as a Service is now available in the Microsoft Azure Marketplace. The SaaS offering supports consolidated cloud billing and usage-based, metered pricing.
2. Cloud Firewall Services: Barracuda announced new capabilities enabling Barracuda CloudGen Firewall to further improve connectivity to Office 365 and the Microsoft Azure cloud. The new features enforce Office 365 local breakout policies in Microsoft Azure Virtual WAN. As a result, Barracuda's customers can optimize their Office 365 user experience while increasing security and reducing network costs, the company claims.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Cyber:Secured Forum 2019 (July 29-31, Austin, Texas)
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.