Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Wednesday, March 28, 2018:
10. Facebook Privacy: Three Facebook Messenger app users sued the social media networks on Tuesday, saying Facebook violated their privacy by collecting logs of their phone calls and text messages, in the latest legal challenge facing the company. Meanwhile, New Zealand’s privacy commissioner joined international criticism against Facebook, saying on Wednesday that the social media network has broken the law by declining a citizen access to personal information held on the accounts of other users, Reuter says. Amid the continuing fallout, CEO Mark Zuckerberg plans to testify before U.S. Congress, and Facebook is working to give users more control over their privacy settings.
9. Kaspersky Lab vs. U.S. Government: The Department of Justice (DOJ) is pushing back on Kaspersky Lab’s lawsuit claiming that Congress acted unlawfully in its decision to ban products from the Russian-based global cybersecurity firm, according to The Hill. The DOJ challenged the lawsuit in a motion on Monday, arguing the case should be dismissed because the action taken by Congress was a legal move to protect U.S. national security, the report says.
7. Talent: AlertSense, which develops an alerting, crisis management and collaboration platform for business resiliency, has hired David R. Smith as CEO. He succeeds Von Hansen, who remains chairman.
6. Ransomware Concerns: More than half (53 percent) of U.S. organizations that were infected with ransomware blamed legacy antivirus protection for failing to prevent the attack, according to the new SentinelOne Global Ransomware Report for 2018. Admittedly, that stat is a bit self-serving, since SetinelOne wants customers to embrace the company's autonomous endpoint protection software.
5. Risk Assessments: Verizon has partnered with BitSight, Cylance, Recorded Future and Tanium to launch the Verizon Risk Report -- a framework to help customers make btter security decisions. We'll share more details soon.
4. Small Business Cyber Insurance: CyberPolicy, a small business cyber insurance firm, has launched CyberCheckup to help customers assess their cyber risk level.
2. Earnings: SecureWorks, a Top 100 MSSP, says fiscal Q4 2018 revenue was $120.7 million -- up 1.4 percent from the corresponding quarter last year. Revenue in fiscal 2018 increased 8.9 percent to $467.9 million from $429.5 million in fiscal 2017. We'll share more thoughts soon.
1. Top 100 MSSPs Survey: Our Top 100 MSSPs Survey for 2018 is now open. Participate now and your company could be recognized and ranked among the world’s top MSSPs when we unveil research, results and the complete list in September.